USM programs, faculty dodge budget cuts
HATTIESBURG — Ten academic programs and 15 faculty positions have been saved from the chopping block at the University of Southern Mississippi.
USM president Martha Saunders said Wednesday that she has accepted all the recommendations of the Program Elimination Appeals Committee.
That means 15 faculty members who received termination notices will keep their jobs.
However, Saunders’ approval of the committee recommendations means that 13 academic programs — along with 14 faculty members — remain on the list to be eliminated in the fall.
Last August, USM said it was cutting faculty and programs in response to an anticipated $15-million shortfall for 2011-12.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Spivey named Under 40 Business Person of the Year by the Mississippi Business Journal
- JACK WEATHERLY: Finding a house, defending a neighborhood, finding a voice
- Top 40 Under 40
- Terminal upgrade on indefinite hold at Jackson International Airport
- JACK WEATHERLY: Economic development in these parts is a ‘family’ business
- Bids on reworking Interstate 55 stretch are rejected
- CFPB wants repay ability at center of new payday loan rules
- MDA to close all its regional offices
- Top 40 Under 40 (digital magazine)