Bishop becomes eighth president of SMCC
SUMMIT — Southwest Mississippi Community College’s Board of Trustees has unanimously selected Dr. Steve Bishop, SMCC’s vice president of student affairs, as the college’s new president.
Bishop, who will become SMCC’s eighth president, was chosen after Dr. Oliver Young announced his decision to retire as president effective June 30.
Bishop said, “I am excited and humbled about being selected Southwest Mississippi Community College’s president and look to continue the excellence that is expected from this college. I am very fortunate to be a part of the Southwest family, and I look forward to this new role at the college. Southwest has an established group of dedicated employees, and together we will continue to provide quality education for the students of this community, state and region.”
Bishop began his career at SMCC as an instructor in 1992. He is a 1988 graduate of Southwest Mississippi Junior College, earned a B.S. degree from the University of Southern Mississippi and a master’s of arts from Southeastern Louisiana University. He was awarded his Ph.D. in higher education administration from the University of Southern Mississippi in 1997.
Bishop, a native of Gillsburg, is the son of Barbara Blount Bishop and the late Curtis Bishop. He is married to Dr. Melanie Hammill Bishop of Poplarville. They are the parents of four children, Katherine, Ruth and twins Arthur and Eleanor.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Expert on airlines predicts Jackson-Evers will keep remaining carriers
- IKE TROTTER: There are primary changes in Social Security for 2014
- Keeping our eye on... Liz Lancaster
- Alcorn's finances being investigated; CFO resigns
- MAN OF STEEL: Madhu Ranade leading Severstal Columbus
- C Spire launches next phase of 1-gig service rollout
- NEW ORLEANS SAINTS MOVING — Mississippi company has the task of moving the football team
- Hood issues opinion on open-carry gun law
- GOP Sen. Thad Cochran to run for seventh term
- State of Louisiana mulling plan for Amtrak route