Coast city files papers for proposed annexation
Published: February 10,2011
PASS CHRISTIAN — Since its beginnings in 1699, Pass Christian has been six square miles in the western part of Harrison County.
Mayor Chipper McDermott and the Board of Aldermen believe it’s time to change that.
The city has filed papers in Chancery Court showing its intent to annex 5.6 square miles, nearly doubling the size of the city.
Later, the city plans to annex Henderson Point, also a part of Harrison County.
Mayor Chipper McDermott tells The Sun Herald that if the city is allowed to annex the targeted area, it would gain about 200 homes and 400 to 500 people.
However, the Harrison County Board of Supervisors has filed an objection to the annexation. The first hearing is March 22 in Chancery Court.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Spivey named Under 40 Business Person of the Year by the Mississippi Business Journal
- Bids on reworking Interstate 55 stretch are rejected
- JACK WEATHERLY: Finding a house, defending a neighborhood, finding a voice
- Terminal upgrade on indefinite hold at Jackson International Airport
- JACK WEATHERLY: Economic development in these parts is a ‘family’ business
- Report ranks state schools' performance 51st in the nation
- Hosemann to launch crowd funding program
- CFPB wants repay ability at center of new payday loan rules
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast