Coast city files papers for proposed annexation
by Associated Press
Published: February 10,2011
PASS CHRISTIAN — Since its beginnings in 1699, Pass Christian has been six square miles in the western part of Harrison County.
Mayor Chipper McDermott and the Board of Aldermen believe it’s time to change that.
The city has filed papers in Chancery Court showing its intent to annex 5.6 square miles, nearly doubling the size of the city.
Later, the city plans to annex Henderson Point, also a part of Harrison County.
Mayor Chipper McDermott tells The Sun Herald that if the city is allowed to annex the targeted area, it would gain about 200 homes and 400 to 500 people.
However, the Harrison County Board of Supervisors has filed an objection to the annexation. The first hearing is March 22 in Chancery Court.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Education officials changing school rating system
- Gulf LNG terminal mulling export opportunities
- Historic COFO building demolished due to structural problems
- Capital City voters to elect new mayor in runoff
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- New shareholders named for Copeland, Cook, Taylor and Bush
- MSU's Gilbert named finalist for Austin Peay presidency
- Communities vie for TVA sustainability designation
- American HealthTech passes Medicare tests
- First Corolla earmarked for export rolls off of Toyota's line