Coast city files papers for proposed annexation
Published: February 10,2011
PASS CHRISTIAN — Since its beginnings in 1699, Pass Christian has been six square miles in the western part of Harrison County.
Mayor Chipper McDermott and the Board of Aldermen believe it’s time to change that.
The city has filed papers in Chancery Court showing its intent to annex 5.6 square miles, nearly doubling the size of the city.
Later, the city plans to annex Henderson Point, also a part of Harrison County.
Mayor Chipper McDermott tells The Sun Herald that if the city is allowed to annex the targeted area, it would gain about 200 homes and 400 to 500 people.
However, the Harrison County Board of Supervisors has filed an objection to the annexation. The first hearing is March 22 in Chancery Court.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Peavey's wellness program honored after workers drop 1,000 pounds
- Group, lesbian couples look to overturn state's ban on same-sex marriages
- Pickering lists concerns over Mississippi Adequate Education Program formula
- Watkins says JRA out to block him from Farish by repaying HUD $1.5M
- Mississippi Film Studios signs contract with New Orleans company
- Mars Food expanding Delta plant; investing $31M and adding jobs
- State renews battle over water use with city of Memphis
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- Biloxi baseball project still alive but may be held for 2015