Keeping Our Eye On: Bryant Horne
Hometown: Prattville, Ala.
Education: B.A. in accountancy, M.A. of professional accountancy (Mississippi State University)
Current Position: Staff accountant/Auditor, Haddox, Reid, Burkes, & Calhoun
Bryant Horne said it was the interest inventories on the ACT that first steered him towards a degree in accounting. “People say accounting is the language of business,” the Alabama native says. “A lot of business majors don’t like accounting and I thought if I didn’t like it I’d go into another area of business.”
The son of an engineer and high school math teacher, Horne says that he always preferred math over science and that accounting has been a good fit for him so far. “I’m helping people do what they want to do with their business,” he says. Horne admits also relishing his office in downtown Jackson’s Regions Plaza, an urban environment he has really enjoyed.
Horne passed his CPA exam in 2009 and finished his work certification requirements last September. When he’s not crunching numbers Horne enjoys Mississippi State athletics and is active in the First Baptist Jackson singles ministry. “Do well in your major and be passionate about it,” Horne tells aspiring accountants. “Pay attention to your resume and how your GPA will impact it.”
Mississippi’s best kept secret: Tailgating at the Junction in Starkville
Must-have Mississippi food: “Fried green tomatoes and crawfish; you say crawfish in Montgomery and people look at you funny.”
Favorite Hangout: Burgers & Blues in Ridgeland
Favorite TV show: “Monday Night Football”
Favorite Movie: “The Pursuit of Happiness”
Favorite Band: The Beatles
Last book read: “How to Win Friends & Influence People” by Dale Carnegie
First job ever: Tree farming in Selma, Ala.
Best role model: My family
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- NEW IN MADISON COUNTY — Mississippi Bio-Medical Business Collaboratory to be introduced Friday
- GreenTech holds grand opening of neighborhood electric vehicle plant
- Alcorn president launches new customer service task force
- Turner Grain’s bankruptcy will help consolidate lawsuits alleging breach of contract
- David Duval, former British Open winner, joins Sanderson Farms field
- Mississippi Film Studios signs contract with New Orleans company
- MDOT cutting more than 40 jobs in Right-of-Way Division
- Mars Food expanding Delta plant; investing $31M and adding jobs
- Court rules against Greenwood councilwoman; must give up office