Keeping Our Eye On: Bryant Horne
Hometown: Prattville, Ala.
Education: B.A. in accountancy, M.A. of professional accountancy (Mississippi State University)
Current Position: Staff accountant/Auditor, Haddox, Reid, Burkes, & Calhoun
Bryant Horne said it was the interest inventories on the ACT that first steered him towards a degree in accounting. “People say accounting is the language of business,” the Alabama native says. “A lot of business majors don’t like accounting and I thought if I didn’t like it I’d go into another area of business.”
The son of an engineer and high school math teacher, Horne says that he always preferred math over science and that accounting has been a good fit for him so far. “I’m helping people do what they want to do with their business,” he says. Horne admits also relishing his office in downtown Jackson’s Regions Plaza, an urban environment he has really enjoyed.
Horne passed his CPA exam in 2009 and finished his work certification requirements last September. When he’s not crunching numbers Horne enjoys Mississippi State athletics and is active in the First Baptist Jackson singles ministry. “Do well in your major and be passionate about it,” Horne tells aspiring accountants. “Pay attention to your resume and how your GPA will impact it.”
Mississippi’s best kept secret: Tailgating at the Junction in Starkville
Must-have Mississippi food: “Fried green tomatoes and crawfish; you say crawfish in Montgomery and people look at you funny.”
Favorite Hangout: Burgers & Blues in Ridgeland
Favorite TV show: “Monday Night Football”
Favorite Movie: “The Pursuit of Happiness”
Favorite Band: The Beatles
Last book read: “How to Win Friends & Influence People” by Dale Carnegie
First job ever: Tree farming in Selma, Ala.
Best role model: My family
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- Woman found guilty of murder in buttocks injection case
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- Healthcare Marketplace to look much the same in 2015
- Mississippi judge dismisses lawsuit seeking to overturn Sen. Cochran's GOP primary win