Patton earns CAREER grant
by MBJ Staff
Published: February 13,2011
Derek Patton, University of Southern Mississippi assistant professor in the School of Polymers and High Performance Materials, learned recently that he had been awarded a prestigious National Science Foundation (NSF) CAREER grant designed to recognize outstanding work by junior faculty across the country. Patton’s NSF CAREER award of $500,000 will be administered in $100,000 increments spread out over five years. The award will be renewed each year contingent upon availability of funds and the scientific progress of the project.
An Attalla, Ala., native, Patton earned his bachelor of science in chemistry from Jacksonville State University in 2000; his master of science in chemistry from the University of Alabama at Birmingham in 2002 and his doctorate in chemistry from the University of Houston in 2006. He joined the faculty at Southern Miss in 2008.
Patton joins a list of colleagues at Southern Miss who also received NSF CAREER grants recently. Those include: Dr. Doug Masterson, associate professor and associate chair of the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry; Dr. Paige Phillips, associate professor in the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry; Dr. Steve Stevenson, assistant professor in the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry; Dr. Wujian Miao, associate professor in the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry; and, Dr. Julie Cwikla, assistant professor in mathematics education at Southern Miss Gulf Coast.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Chris McDaniel gets a thank you note from Travis Childers
- Senate passes teacher pay raise legislation
- The First acquiring Alabama bank in cash/stock deal
- Pickering collects more money from failed beef plant project
- Lawmakers debating alternative to Medicaid expansion
- Todd Smith's Spin Cycle — Not milk! It’s end of era for milk industry’s iconic ‘Got Milk?’ campaign
- States settle with manufacturers in DRAM price-fixing case
- District at Eastover takes shape with financing in place, tenant signings under way
- MBJ's Businesswoman of the Year never expected her career to take this path
- Mississippi ag aviation plays a critical role in production and profitability