Patton earns CAREER grant
by MBJ Staff
Published: February 13,2011
Derek Patton, University of Southern Mississippi assistant professor in the School of Polymers and High Performance Materials, learned recently that he had been awarded a prestigious National Science Foundation (NSF) CAREER grant designed to recognize outstanding work by junior faculty across the country. Patton’s NSF CAREER award of $500,000 will be administered in $100,000 increments spread out over five years. The award will be renewed each year contingent upon availability of funds and the scientific progress of the project.
An Attalla, Ala., native, Patton earned his bachelor of science in chemistry from Jacksonville State University in 2000; his master of science in chemistry from the University of Alabama at Birmingham in 2002 and his doctorate in chemistry from the University of Houston in 2006. He joined the faculty at Southern Miss in 2008.
Patton joins a list of colleagues at Southern Miss who also received NSF CAREER grants recently. Those include: Dr. Doug Masterson, associate professor and associate chair of the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry; Dr. Paige Phillips, associate professor in the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry; Dr. Steve Stevenson, assistant professor in the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry; Dr. Wujian Miao, associate professor in the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry; and, Dr. Julie Cwikla, assistant professor in mathematics education at Southern Miss Gulf Coast.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- MBJ Special report: MDA numbers help with cities’ retail pitches
- COO of TL Wallace Construction keeps eye on revenue growth and profits
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- RAISING AWARENESS — Lori Newcomb, family join fight against ovarian cancer
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Isle of Capri reports decreased in-state revenues; experiencing 'market pressures'
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator