Cochran reenlists for Senate education caucus
WASHINGTON — U.S. Sen. Thad Cochran (R-Miss.) has agreed to continue serving on the Senate Rural Education Caucus, a bipartisan group that will promote the needs and interests of education in small and rural school districts in the 112th Congress.
Cochran, who has previously served on the caucus, is vice chairman of the Senate Appropriations Committee and serves on the appropriations subcommittee that provides funding for the U.S. Department of Education.
“I believe this caucus can play a valuable role in the next two years as Congress addresses the multitude of challenges facing education, on both policy and funding fronts,” Cochran said.
Formed in 2003, the caucus develops and provides information to fellow Senators and staff on the implications of federal education policies for small and rural schools. The caucus has, for instance, promoted the Rural Education Achievement Program (REAP). A grant program within No Child Left Behind law, REAP has given some Mississippi school districts more flexibility to combine federal funds for educational programs.
Reauthorization of the No Child Left Behind law is among the legislative goals outlined for the 112th Congress.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Ingalls to lease former SRHS clinic in Gautier for employee medical center
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option
- Pearl ordering rental properties to retrofit with sprinklers, build storm shelters
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast
- Williams Brothers General Store is something to count on