Wilkinson court clerk arrested
WOODVILLE — The Wilkinson County Justice Court office has been closed after the court clerk was charged with extortion.
State Auditor Stacey Pickering says court clerk Wanda Faye Fountain of Woodville was arrested Thursday on charges of allegedly taking money in exchange for the improper disposal of traffic citations.
Pickering says the money Fountain collected was allegedly not reported to the Wilkinson County Justice Court, and the tickets were not forwarded to the Department of Public Safety to update driving records.
Fountain was released on $5,000 bail. No court date has been set.
Pickering says the court clerk’s office would reopen after the board of supervisors selects an interim staff and new bank accounts set up. Supervisors are to meet Tuesday.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Two BancorpSouth mergers delayed by federal inquiries
- Moon River Foods creating 100 jobs in Mississippi Delta
- Severstal selling plants, including Severstal Columbus
- Wasted away — Margaritaville in Biloxi to close by Sept. 19
- WILLOUGHBY: Broadband Voice founder Gary Watts isn’t afraid to take chances
- Communities awarded national Main Street accreditation
- Police find Attorney General Hood's stolen handgun
- Pickwick Pines settles lawsuit; pays $260K
- Judge to hear from True the Vote as McDaniel attempts to overturn loss to Cochran