Wilkinson court clerk arrested
WOODVILLE — The Wilkinson County Justice Court office has been closed after the court clerk was charged with extortion.
State Auditor Stacey Pickering says court clerk Wanda Faye Fountain of Woodville was arrested Thursday on charges of allegedly taking money in exchange for the improper disposal of traffic citations.
Pickering says the money Fountain collected was allegedly not reported to the Wilkinson County Justice Court, and the tickets were not forwarded to the Department of Public Safety to update driving records.
Fountain was released on $5,000 bail. No court date has been set.
Pickering says the court clerk’s office would reopen after the board of supervisors selects an interim staff and new bank accounts set up. Supervisors are to meet Tuesday.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS — Roger Wicker: Profile in discouragement
- Attorney McRae challenging Miss. treasurer in GOP primary
- Ecolab reducing Columbus workforce
- Tommy Robertson indicted on five counts of embezzlement
- Judge names receiver for KiOR plant, but tax payment unclear
- State's ventures into alt-fuel markets net few jobs
- Rival plans filed to end Cleveland schools federal oversight
- BILL CRAWFORD — More jobs, but fewer with jobs, huh?
- Choctaws' new hospital nearing completion