Wilkinson court clerk arrested
WOODVILLE — The Wilkinson County Justice Court office has been closed after the court clerk was charged with extortion.
State Auditor Stacey Pickering says court clerk Wanda Faye Fountain of Woodville was arrested Thursday on charges of allegedly taking money in exchange for the improper disposal of traffic citations.
Pickering says the money Fountain collected was allegedly not reported to the Wilkinson County Justice Court, and the tickets were not forwarded to the Department of Public Safety to update driving records.
Fountain was released on $5,000 bail. No court date has been set.
Pickering says the court clerk’s office would reopen after the board of supervisors selects an interim staff and new bank accounts set up. Supervisors are to meet Tuesday.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Analyst: KiOR Columbus plant may end up sold as scrap
- (UPDATE) Gov. Bryant: $1.2 billion aluminum plant is a very exciting proposition for the state of Mississippi
- College Board gives Keenum contract extension, raise
- Humana and Bill, Hillary and Chelsea Clinton Foundation partnering
- Six out of eight universities could have higher tuitions in 2015
- Hunting deer? There's an app for that
- Can Metrocenter rise from the ashes? Again
- WILLOUGHBY: Bernie Reed cites hard work as key to success of Reed’s Metals
- Apple ordered to pay $23.6M for using SkyTel technology
- Gulf oil rig explosion kills one worker, injures three