Wilkinson court clerk arrested
WOODVILLE — The Wilkinson County Justice Court office has been closed after the court clerk was charged with extortion.
State Auditor Stacey Pickering says court clerk Wanda Faye Fountain of Woodville was arrested Thursday on charges of allegedly taking money in exchange for the improper disposal of traffic citations.
Pickering says the money Fountain collected was allegedly not reported to the Wilkinson County Justice Court, and the tickets were not forwarded to the Department of Public Safety to update driving records.
Fountain was released on $5,000 bail. No court date has been set.
Pickering says the court clerk’s office would reopen after the board of supervisors selects an interim staff and new bank accounts set up. Supervisors are to meet Tuesday.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Peavey's wellness program honored after workers drop 1,000 pounds
- Group, lesbian couples look to overturn state's ban on same-sex marriages
- Pickering lists concerns over Mississippi Adequate Education Program formula
- Watkins says JRA out to block him from Farish by repaying HUD $1.5M
- Mississippi Film Studios signs contract with New Orleans company
- Mars Food expanding Delta plant; investing $31M and adding jobs
- State renews battle over water use with city of Memphis
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- Biloxi baseball project still alive but may be held for 2015