Wilkinson court clerk arrested
WOODVILLE — The Wilkinson County Justice Court office has been closed after the court clerk was charged with extortion.
State Auditor Stacey Pickering says court clerk Wanda Faye Fountain of Woodville was arrested Thursday on charges of allegedly taking money in exchange for the improper disposal of traffic citations.
Pickering says the money Fountain collected was allegedly not reported to the Wilkinson County Justice Court, and the tickets were not forwarded to the Department of Public Safety to update driving records.
Fountain was released on $5,000 bail. No court date has been set.
Pickering says the court clerk’s office would reopen after the board of supervisors selects an interim staff and new bank accounts set up. Supervisors are to meet Tuesday.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Palmertree blocked from using public funds for legal defense
- Two companies fined for violations of 'No-Call' law
- Report: Mississippi only state to see drop in home prices
- District at Eastover takes shape with financing in place, tenant signings under way
- States settle with manufacturers in DRAM price-fixing case
- John Ferrucci'a perfect voice is perfect for the Silver Slipper Casino
- City suing Hercules for pollution at shuttered plant site
- Pickering collects more money from failed beef plant project
- Ex-Democrat Taylor cleared to run in primary as Republican
- Rankin chosen as new president of Alcorn State