Wilkinson court clerk arrested
WOODVILLE — The Wilkinson County Justice Court office has been closed after the court clerk was charged with extortion.
State Auditor Stacey Pickering says court clerk Wanda Faye Fountain of Woodville was arrested Thursday on charges of allegedly taking money in exchange for the improper disposal of traffic citations.
Pickering says the money Fountain collected was allegedly not reported to the Wilkinson County Justice Court, and the tickets were not forwarded to the Department of Public Safety to update driving records.
Fountain was released on $5,000 bail. No court date has been set.
Pickering says the court clerk’s office would reopen after the board of supervisors selects an interim staff and new bank accounts set up. Supervisors are to meet Tuesday.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Source: Bryant has offered Glenn McCullough MDA job
- College Board names Glenn Boyce as higher education chief
- TRANSITION AT THE MDA — Is Mississippi better off than it was 3 years ago?
- (WITH VIDEO) Funding secured for Capitol Art Lofts in downtown Jackson
- Deepwater Horizon Five Years Later — Restoring the Mississippi coast starts with a strong foundation
- Chancery Court’s interpretation of ‘public use’ will guide ruling on Westin money
- PHIL HARDWICK: The third grade reading gate, book buddies and school principals
- COMMERCIAL FINANCE 701: Loans disguised as government bonds (BOANs)
- THE SPIN CYCLE — Key results from Pew’s social media survey