Wilkinson court clerk arrested
WOODVILLE — The Wilkinson County Justice Court office has been closed after the court clerk was charged with extortion.
State Auditor Stacey Pickering says court clerk Wanda Faye Fountain of Woodville was arrested Thursday on charges of allegedly taking money in exchange for the improper disposal of traffic citations.
Pickering says the money Fountain collected was allegedly not reported to the Wilkinson County Justice Court, and the tickets were not forwarded to the Department of Public Safety to update driving records.
Fountain was released on $5,000 bail. No court date has been set.
Pickering says the court clerk’s office would reopen after the board of supervisors selects an interim staff and new bank accounts set up. Supervisors are to meet Tuesday.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS: Who in the Hell are We?
- New Mississippi state highway map is available for the public
- Tanger Outlets involved in Southaven project
- Ikea confirms plan for Memphis store
- McCrory joins Epps in asking for trial delay
- Ingalls to lease former SRHS clinic in Gautier for employee medical center
- Former Lane Furniture plant sold for $1.45 million
- OUR VIEW: JRA evolving toward transparency? Maybe, maybe not
- Jon-Paul Croom made CEO