Wilkinson court clerk arrested
WOODVILLE — The Wilkinson County Justice Court office has been closed after the court clerk was charged with extortion.
State Auditor Stacey Pickering says court clerk Wanda Faye Fountain of Woodville was arrested Thursday on charges of allegedly taking money in exchange for the improper disposal of traffic citations.
Pickering says the money Fountain collected was allegedly not reported to the Wilkinson County Justice Court, and the tickets were not forwarded to the Department of Public Safety to update driving records.
Fountain was released on $5,000 bail. No court date has been set.
Pickering says the court clerk’s office would reopen after the board of supervisors selects an interim staff and new bank accounts set up. Supervisors are to meet Tuesday.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Hood clarifies opinion on open-carry gun law
- IKE TROTTER: There are primary changes in Social Security for 2014
- Expert on airlines predicts Jackson-Evers will keep remaining carriers
- C Spire launches next phase of 1-gig service rollout
- Town given Obamacare insurance break, but faces additional costs in 2015
- MAN OF STEEL: Madhu Ranade leading Severstal Columbus
- Officials hand mayor projects list totaling $57.7M
- Public meeting called to mull future of convention center
- Court to hear case involving alligators and ExxonMobil
- Alumni-couple donate $12.3M to Mississippi State