Wilkinson court clerk arrested
WOODVILLE — The Wilkinson County Justice Court office has been closed after the court clerk was charged with extortion.
State Auditor Stacey Pickering says court clerk Wanda Faye Fountain of Woodville was arrested Thursday on charges of allegedly taking money in exchange for the improper disposal of traffic citations.
Pickering says the money Fountain collected was allegedly not reported to the Wilkinson County Justice Court, and the tickets were not forwarded to the Department of Public Safety to update driving records.
Fountain was released on $5,000 bail. No court date has been set.
Pickering says the court clerk’s office would reopen after the board of supervisors selects an interim staff and new bank accounts set up. Supervisors are to meet Tuesday.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- McDaniel delays decision on whether to appeal dismissal of lawsuit
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- More than a dozen school districts sue state over funding
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Woman found guilty of murder in buttocks injection case
- Bryant issues executive order to establish Delta water task force