Adkerson named top MSU alumnus
Longtime Mississippi State University supporter Richard C. Adkerson is receiving the university’s 2011 national alumnus of the year award. The 1969 MSU graduate is president and CEO of Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold Inc., the world’s largest publicly traded copper producer. A Phoenix, Ariz., resident, he also is co-chairman of McMoRan Exploration Co., an international oil and gas exploration company.
In 2007, a $5-million gift by Adkerson to the College of Business was recognized by naming in his honor the college’s School of Accountancy.
Adkerson graduated with highest honors in accounting and, a year later, received a master’s in business administration. Also in 1970, he scored second highest nationally on the certified public accounting examination. He additionally is a graduate of Harvard Business School’s Advanced Management Program.
Previously, Mississippi State honored Adkerson for continuing assistance to academic and athletic programs. In 1989, he was named outstanding accounting alumnus; two years later, the business college selected him as its alumnus of the year. In 2010, the land-grant university recognized him with an honorary doctoral degree.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Analyst: KiOR Columbus plant may end up sold as scrap
- (UPDATE) Gov. Bryant: $1.2 billion aluminum plant is a very exciting proposition for the state of Mississippi
- College Board gives Keenum contract extension, raise
- Humana and Bill, Hillary and Chelsea Clinton Foundation partnering
- Six out of eight universities could have higher tuitions in 2015
- WILLOUGHBY: Bernie Reed cites hard work as key to success of Reed’s Metals
- Hunting deer? There's an app for that
- Can Metrocenter rise from the ashes? Again
- Apple ordered to pay $23.6M for using SkyTel technology
- Gulf oil rig explosion kills one worker, injures three