Adkerson named top MSU alumnus
Longtime Mississippi State University supporter Richard C. Adkerson is receiving the university’s 2011 national alumnus of the year award. The 1969 MSU graduate is president and CEO of Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold Inc., the world’s largest publicly traded copper producer. A Phoenix, Ariz., resident, he also is co-chairman of McMoRan Exploration Co., an international oil and gas exploration company.
In 2007, a $5-million gift by Adkerson to the College of Business was recognized by naming in his honor the college’s School of Accountancy.
Adkerson graduated with highest honors in accounting and, a year later, received a master’s in business administration. Also in 1970, he scored second highest nationally on the certified public accounting examination. He additionally is a graduate of Harvard Business School’s Advanced Management Program.
Previously, Mississippi State honored Adkerson for continuing assistance to academic and athletic programs. In 1989, he was named outstanding accounting alumnus; two years later, the business college selected him as its alumnus of the year. In 2010, the land-grant university recognized him with an honorary doctoral degree.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Omega Protein shifting vessels to Mississippi
- CARTOON — Nobile illustrates Thad Cochran's most significant advantage over the competition
- Bankrupt Simply Wheelz chooses prevailing bidder for assets
- Judge denies ex-mayor's motion to vacate Katrina-related conviction
- IKE TROTTER: There are primary changes in Social Security for 2014
- Wiseman retiring after nearly 30 years with Stennis Institute
- Real estate developer to plead guilty to wetlands violation
- PSC unanimously rejects Entergy-ITC proposed merger
- Company mulling plan to build new pipeline
- Alumni-couple donate $12.3M to Mississippi State