Adkerson named top MSU alumnus
Longtime Mississippi State University supporter Richard C. Adkerson is receiving the university’s 2011 national alumnus of the year award. The 1969 MSU graduate is president and CEO of Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold Inc., the world’s largest publicly traded copper producer. A Phoenix, Ariz., resident, he also is co-chairman of McMoRan Exploration Co., an international oil and gas exploration company.
In 2007, a $5-million gift by Adkerson to the College of Business was recognized by naming in his honor the college’s School of Accountancy.
Adkerson graduated with highest honors in accounting and, a year later, received a master’s in business administration. Also in 1970, he scored second highest nationally on the certified public accounting examination. He additionally is a graduate of Harvard Business School’s Advanced Management Program.
Previously, Mississippi State honored Adkerson for continuing assistance to academic and athletic programs. In 1989, he was named outstanding accounting alumnus; two years later, the business college selected him as its alumnus of the year. In 2010, the land-grant university recognized him with an honorary doctoral degree.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Regions must pay $7.5 million in fines over illegal overdraft fees
- Bradley Arant Boult Cummings attorney Alan Perry takes office as IHL board president
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- Mississippian Glenn McCullough Jr. gets nod as new MDA chief
- Top 40 Under 40
- DAVID DALLAS: Getting a grip on LGBT issues
- CFPB wants repay ability at center of new payday loan rules
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur