Bishop becomes eighth SMCC president
by MBJ Staff
Published: February 20,2011
Southwest Mississippi Community College’s Board of Trustees has unanimously selected Dr. Steve Bishop, SMCC’s vice president of student affairs, as the college’s new president.
Bishop, who will become SMCC’s eighth president, was chosen after Dr. Oliver Young announced his decision to retire as president effective June 30.
Bishop began his career at SMCC as an instructor in 1992. He is a 1988 graduate of Southwest Mississippi Junior College, earned a B.S. degree from the University of Southern Mississippi and a master’s of arts from Southeastern Louisiana University. He was awarded his Ph.D. in higher education administration from the University of Southern Mississippi in 1997.
Bishop, a native of Gillsburg, is the son of Barbara Blount Bishop and the late Curtis Bishop. He is married to Dr. Melanie Hammill Bishop of Poplarville. They are the parents of four children, Katherine, Ruth and twins Arthur and Eleanor.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- TECH 21 — Mississippi's most wanted in technology
- Circuit clerks question how to get records to McDaniel's trial
- PEDIGREE dog food recalled; might contain metal fragments
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- R.J. Allen ranked as fastest-growing company in Mississippi
- Judicial candidates put on ballot after rejection of challenges
- Tragedy for Jackson Prep: Football player Walker Wilbanks dies
- MSU receives funding for two proposals aimed at boosting NASA missions
- DAVID DALLAS — Mississippi needs one university