Bishop becomes eighth SMCC president
by MBJ Staff
Published: February 20,2011
Southwest Mississippi Community College’s Board of Trustees has unanimously selected Dr. Steve Bishop, SMCC’s vice president of student affairs, as the college’s new president.
Bishop, who will become SMCC’s eighth president, was chosen after Dr. Oliver Young announced his decision to retire as president effective June 30.
Bishop began his career at SMCC as an instructor in 1992. He is a 1988 graduate of Southwest Mississippi Junior College, earned a B.S. degree from the University of Southern Mississippi and a master’s of arts from Southeastern Louisiana University. He was awarded his Ph.D. in higher education administration from the University of Southern Mississippi in 1997.
Bishop, a native of Gillsburg, is the son of Barbara Blount Bishop and the late Curtis Bishop. He is married to Dr. Melanie Hammill Bishop of Poplarville. They are the parents of four children, Katherine, Ruth and twins Arthur and Eleanor.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- New law on taxing methods hailed as big win for businesses
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- MSU researchers develop timber-management software
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- BRENT CHRISTENSEN — Entrepreneurs: A vital fuel for Mississippi’s Economy
- Counties ‘hoping to get it right’ as they await Tuscaloosa Marine shale boom