Bishop becomes eighth SMCC president
by MBJ Staff
Published: February 20,2011
Southwest Mississippi Community College’s Board of Trustees has unanimously selected Dr. Steve Bishop, SMCC’s vice president of student affairs, as the college’s new president.
Bishop, who will become SMCC’s eighth president, was chosen after Dr. Oliver Young announced his decision to retire as president effective June 30.
Bishop began his career at SMCC as an instructor in 1992. He is a 1988 graduate of Southwest Mississippi Junior College, earned a B.S. degree from the University of Southern Mississippi and a master’s of arts from Southeastern Louisiana University. He was awarded his Ph.D. in higher education administration from the University of Southern Mississippi in 1997.
Bishop, a native of Gillsburg, is the son of Barbara Blount Bishop and the late Curtis Bishop. He is married to Dr. Melanie Hammill Bishop of Poplarville. They are the parents of four children, Katherine, Ruth and twins Arthur and Eleanor.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Bids on reworking Interstate 55 stretch are rejected
- Spivey named Under 40 Business Person of the Year by the Mississippi Business Journal
- JACK WEATHERLY: Economic development in these parts is a ‘family’ business
- Hosemann to launch crowd funding program
- CFPB wants repay ability at center of new payday loan rules
- Terminal upgrade on indefinite hold at Jackson International Airport
- ALAN TURNER: Education in Mississippi – good and bad news
- JOSH MABUS: The Tao of Road House
- Judge: Caesars can demolish Harrah's casino in Mississippi