Bishop becomes eighth SMCC president
by MBJ Staff
Published: February 20,2011
Southwest Mississippi Community College’s Board of Trustees has unanimously selected Dr. Steve Bishop, SMCC’s vice president of student affairs, as the college’s new president.
Bishop, who will become SMCC’s eighth president, was chosen after Dr. Oliver Young announced his decision to retire as president effective June 30.
Bishop began his career at SMCC as an instructor in 1992. He is a 1988 graduate of Southwest Mississippi Junior College, earned a B.S. degree from the University of Southern Mississippi and a master’s of arts from Southeastern Louisiana University. He was awarded his Ph.D. in higher education administration from the University of Southern Mississippi in 1997.
Bishop, a native of Gillsburg, is the son of Barbara Blount Bishop and the late Curtis Bishop. He is married to Dr. Melanie Hammill Bishop of Poplarville. They are the parents of four children, Katherine, Ruth and twins Arthur and Eleanor.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY — Tyler Raborn finds success and fulfillment with Raborn Media
- Three indicted, alleged to have embezzled from agency
- Supreme Court deals blow to McDaniel's election challenge
- Manning family establishes health care initiative at UMMC
- DAVID DALLAS: Mr. McDaniel goes to Washington
- Bryant protests immigrant children being housed in state
- Gunn, Reeves introduce performance-based budget plan
- Under state probe, All American Check Cashing gets ‘F’ rating from Better Business Bureau
- Weyerhaeuser investing $57M to modernize lumber mill