OSHA cites sawmills for multiple violations
SILVER CREEK — The U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration has cited the Joe N. Miles & Sons Inc. sawmill in Silver Creek with 19 safety violations.
Proposed penalties total $67,800.
OSHA began its inspection in Oct. 2010 as part of a national emphasis program on combustible dust in the workplace. The citations include one willful violation carrying a $44,000 penalty for allowing an electrical junction box to be left open in an area where combustible dust accumulates, exposing workers to fire and electrocution.
The company also was cited with 16 serious violations and a penalty of $23,800. The violations include: a dangerous accumulation of combustible dust; unsafe exit routes; improper dispensing of flammable liquids; failing to inspect lockout/tagout procedures of energy sources; failing to recharge fire extinguishers; lack of signage prohibiting foot and vehicle traffic in the log unloading and storage area; handling corrosive chemicals without required eyewash and safety showers; using damaged hooks on hoists to lift loads; using damaged welding cables; failing to have guardrails on elevated walkways; and, failing to provide machine guarding.
Two other-than-serious violations with no penalty were issued for failing to provide warnings or labels on hazardous chemicals.
”Combustible dust is dangerous, but OSHA’s standards provide safeguards that this employer needs to implement,” said Clyde Payne, OSHA’s area director in Jackson.
The sawmill has 15 business days from receipt of the citations and proposed penalties to comply, request a conference with OSHA’s area director or contest the findings before the independent Occupational Safety and Health Review Commission.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
2 Responses to “OSHA cites sawmills for multiple violations”
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- New law on taxing methods hailed as big win for businesses
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- MSU researchers develop timber-management software
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- Counties ‘hoping to get it right’ as they await Tuscaloosa Marine shale boom
- News The Way You Want It!