Defense Department orders more guns from BAE
Published: February 23,2011
HATTIESBURG — An order for 46 M777 howitzers from the U.S. Department of Defense takes the total number of guns ordered to 1001. The order comes as BAE Systems continues deliveries of M777 to Canada and Australia in addition to the U.S.
The M777 is the world’s first artillery weapon to make widespread use of titanium and aluminium alloys, resulting in a howitzer, which is half the weight of conventional 155mm systems. As a result, it can be deployed by medium-lift helicopters to otherwise inaccessible areas, extending its reach over the theater of operations.
Mike Smith, managing director of BAE Systems’ Global Combat Systems Weapons business, said, “M777’s capability is proven in combat daily – being sling-loaded under helicopters and air-dropped in some of the most demanding operational conditions on the planet. These additional orders serve to reinforce the confidence that our customers have in the system and its support.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- QUIRKY? NO, JERKY — Whatever your craving, Beef Jerky Outlets likely has the flavor among 200+ choices
- Oxford’s FNC getting new headquarters
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY — State roots key to Edge Theory's Joe Stradinger
- ALAN TURNER — The ‘Internet of things’ is focus of Camgian's Gary Butler
- TECH 21 — Mississippi's most wanted in technology
- Cochran's attorneys argue for dismissal of McDaniel's lawsuit
- Federal charges dropped against Shumate after guilty plea
- MEMA warns of hottest temperatures of the year