Defense Department orders more guns from BAE
by Associated Press
Published: February 23,2011
HATTIESBURG — An order for 46 M777 howitzers from the U.S. Department of Defense takes the total number of guns ordered to 1001. The order comes as BAE Systems continues deliveries of M777 to Canada and Australia in addition to the U.S.
The M777 is the world’s first artillery weapon to make widespread use of titanium and aluminium alloys, resulting in a howitzer, which is half the weight of conventional 155mm systems. As a result, it can be deployed by medium-lift helicopters to otherwise inaccessible areas, extending its reach over the theater of operations.
Mike Smith, managing director of BAE Systems’ Global Combat Systems Weapons business, said, “M777’s capability is proven in combat daily – being sling-loaded under helicopters and air-dropped in some of the most demanding operational conditions on the planet. These additional orders serve to reinforce the confidence that our customers have in the system and its support.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Mississippi State makes NSF ranking of research universities
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip
- Sawtimber, pulpwood markets improving, but challenges remain
- TVA president/CEO Johnson tours Techumseh, Yokohama plants
- News The Way You Want It!