Defense Department orders more guns from BAE
Published: February 23,2011
HATTIESBURG — An order for 46 M777 howitzers from the U.S. Department of Defense takes the total number of guns ordered to 1001. The order comes as BAE Systems continues deliveries of M777 to Canada and Australia in addition to the U.S.
The M777 is the world’s first artillery weapon to make widespread use of titanium and aluminium alloys, resulting in a howitzer, which is half the weight of conventional 155mm systems. As a result, it can be deployed by medium-lift helicopters to otherwise inaccessible areas, extending its reach over the theater of operations.
Mike Smith, managing director of BAE Systems’ Global Combat Systems Weapons business, said, “M777’s capability is proven in combat daily – being sling-loaded under helicopters and air-dropped in some of the most demanding operational conditions on the planet. These additional orders serve to reinforce the confidence that our customers have in the system and its support.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- McDaniel delays decision on whether to appeal dismissal of lawsuit
- More than a dozen school districts sue state over funding
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- Jackson to get C Spire's high-speed internet
- Bryant issues executive order to establish Delta water task force
- New York firm buying majority interest in Tupelo mall, shopping center