Barbour appoints King to state Supreme Court
GREENVILLE — Gov. Haley Barbour has appointed Judge Leslie D. King to the Mississippi Supreme Court. King serves as Chief Judge of the Mississippi Court of Appeals.
King replaces Justice James Graves, who was sworn in as a judge on the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals last week. King will serve the remainder of the term through Dec. 2012.
The Governor’s Judicial Appointments Advisory Committee will recommend a replacement for King’s District 2, Position 2 seat on the appellate bench, representing the Second Congressional District.
King has served on the Court of Appeals since its creation. He was elected in 1994 to the District 2, Position 2 seat on the court. Previously, the Greenville native served in the Mississippi House of Representatives beginning in 1980. During his tenure, he served as vice-chairman of the Ways and Means Committee and vice-chairman of the Conservation and Water Resources Committee. Other committees on which King served include: Judiciary, Insurance, Environmental Protection Council, Housing Finance Oversight, and Universities and Colleges. He also was chairman of the Mississippi Black Legislative Caucus in 1988.
King began practicing law in 1973 and served as Youth Court counselor for Washington County, Public Defender, Youth Court prosecutor and Municipal Court Judge for the town of Metcalfe.
He graduated from the University of Mississippi in 1970 and from the Texas Southern University School of Law in 1973.
King and his wife, the former Patricia Smith of Greenville, have two daughters.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- MSU researchers develop timber-management software
- New law on taxing methods hailed as big win for businesses
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Running luxury car dealerships, like Mercedes of Jackson, comes naturally to Trudy Higginbotham Moody