MSU awards kenaf patents to Texas manufacturer
Published: February 27,2011
Corn Board Manufacturing, Inc. plans to use kenaf to make pressed board.
“CBMI is looking to blend kenaf into their board products, to achieve the combination of flexibility, rigidity and durability required for the products they are making,” Chase Kasper, interim director of MSU’s Office of Technology Commercialization said in a news release.
“Kenaf is a relatively unknown and underutilized biomass material that we believe has excellent properties and potential as a wood replacement technology,” Lane Segerstrom, CEO of Corn Board Manufacturing, Inc., said.
In early January, the company licensed an MSU patent for the production of kenaf core board and an MSU patent for a machine that separates the kenaf material.
According to a university new release, researchers in Mississippi spent about 12 years studying kenaf fibers.
The results included three patents, a book on kenaf processing and properties, and genetic work that resulted in a new kenaf variety.
The machine MSU developed and patented separates the coarse fiber in the outer layer from the finer fiber in the core of the stem. The fiber from kenaf is versatile and has been used in rope, coarse cloth, paper, engineered wood, animal bedding, packing material and oil and liquid absorbers.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- McDaniel delays decision on whether to appeal dismissal of lawsuit
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- More than a dozen school districts sue state over funding
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Woman found guilty of murder in buttocks injection case
- Bryant issues executive order to establish Delta water task force