Saunders, Sparks promoted by Court
by MBJ Staff
Published: February 27,2011
The Mississippi Supreme Court has promoted Hubbard T. Saunders IV of Jackson to Supreme Court administrator and counsel and named longtime staff attorney Greg Sparks of Madison as director of the Central Legal Staff. Saunders will replace Jack E. Pool of Jackson, who will retire March 15. Sparks will take the Central Legal director position, which Saunders previously held.
Pool has been a practicing attorney for more than 50 years. He has served as Supreme Court administrator and counsel since Nov. 2005. He previously served as director of the Central Legal Staff from 1994-2005. His work for the Court earned him the Chief Justice Award in 2003 and again in 2005. Pool, a native of Natchez, previously worked in the oil business and had a private law practice in Natchez. He earned his law degree from the University of Mississippi School of Law.
Saunders, who has practiced law for 35 years, became Central Legal Staff director and deputy court administrator in Nov. 2005. He previously served as editor of opinions for the Supreme Court for almost seven years. He served as a special assistant attorney general from 1977-1981, working in the federal litigation division of the Attorney General’s Office. He worked in private practice from 1976-1977 and again from 1981-1998. Saunders earned his law degree from the University of Mississippi School of Law.
Sparks has practiced law for 22 years. He joined the Central Legal Staff in 1993, and became assistant director of Central Legal in 1998. He served as a law clerk for then-Justice Edwin Lloyd Pittman from 1988-1991. He worked in private law practice for a year before joining the Central Legal staff. He earned a law degree from the University of Mississippi School of Law.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Chris McDaniel gets a thank you note from Travis Childers
- Senate passes teacher pay raise legislation
- Lawmakers debating alternative to Medicaid expansion
- Pickering collects more money from failed beef plant project
- The First acquiring Alabama bank in cash/stock deal
- Todd Smith's Spin Cycle — Not milk! It’s end of era for milk industry’s iconic ‘Got Milk?’ campaign
- States settle with manufacturers in DRAM price-fixing case
- District at Eastover takes shape with financing in place, tenant signings under way
- MBJ's Businesswoman of the Year never expected her career to take this path
- Mississippi ag aviation plays a critical role in production and profitability