Pickering issues demand to county supervisor
ALCORN COUNTY — State Auditor Stacey Pickering has issued a demand to Danny Crotts for $159,098. Crotts was a supervisor in Alcorn County from 1992–2007.
The State Auditor’s Office took exception with Crotts’ approval of District 2 road funds and other public funds that were expended by the county between 2002 and 2007 that were for unauthorized purposes or in violation of state law.
“After reviewing this case, it is clear that public funds were misused by Alcorn County Supervisor Danny Crotts repeatedly from 2002–2007,” said State Auditor Stacey Pickering. “Crotts used a personally owned barn named Crossroad Blues with a bar and dance floor while billing the county over $15,000 for a ‘District 2 Shop.’ Utilities were paid by the county along with numerous purchases that were unauthorized or in violation of State law. This civil demand represents a significant loss to Alcorn County, and my office will work diligently with the bonding company to ensure that Alcorn County is made whole. We will also continue to work with prosecutorial agencies on any criminal charges that may be forth coming.”
Special agents with the State Auditor’s Office determined that road work was performed on private property; county property was used for personal use; automotive parts were purchased for vehicles not on county inventory; Crotts disposed of government-owned items to the landfill instead of transferring to the supervisor-elect for District 2 when leaving office; and, rental of a tractor for $950 a month for 63 months using funds restricted by law for road and bridge use, but the tractor was never used for work in District 2.
Crotts, 59 of Glen, has 30 days to respond to the demand letter or face a civil lawsuit by the Attorney General’s Office.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- Tanger Outlets involved in Southaven project
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option
- New Mississippi state highway map is available for the public
- DAVID DALLAS: Who in the Hell are We?
- J.McLaughlin to open in Highland Village next spring
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job
- Analysts hail BancorpSouth stock buyback as ‘handsome’ reward for shareholders