Two workers die in Greenville Bridge accident
GREENVILLE — Authorities say a second worker has died of injuries suffered yesterday in an accident on the old Mississippi River Bridge between Mississippi and Arkansas.
The old bridge between Greenville and Lake Village, Ark., is being dismantled after a new, bigger bridge was built about a half-mile up river.
Washington County Coroner Methel Johnson tells the Delta Democrat Times that a 46-year-old worker died at the scene yesterday and a 21-year-old employee died later at a Jackson hospital.
Johnson says the names have not been released until authorities contact relatives.
The men worked for Granite Construction, a subcontractor on the dismantling project.
Richard Flores, the foreman at the site, says no work was being done today.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Oxford’s FNC getting new headquarters
- QUIRKY? NO, JERKY — Whatever your craving, Beef Jerky Outlets likely has the flavor among 200+ choices
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- TECH 21 — Mississippi's most wanted in technology
- Federal charges dropped against Shumate after guilty plea
- Cochran's attorneys argue for dismissal of McDaniel's lawsuit
- ALAN TURNER — The ‘Internet of things’ is focus of Camgian's Gary Butler
- MEMA warns of hottest temperatures of the year
- State’s MAGIC accounting system works, albeit with glitches