Two workers die in Greenville Bridge accident
GREENVILLE — Authorities say a second worker has died of injuries suffered yesterday in an accident on the old Mississippi River Bridge between Mississippi and Arkansas.
The old bridge between Greenville and Lake Village, Ark., is being dismantled after a new, bigger bridge was built about a half-mile up river.
Washington County Coroner Methel Johnson tells the Delta Democrat Times that a 46-year-old worker died at the scene yesterday and a 21-year-old employee died later at a Jackson hospital.
Johnson says the names have not been released until authorities contact relatives.
The men worked for Granite Construction, a subcontractor on the dismantling project.
Richard Flores, the foreman at the site, says no work was being done today.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- UMMC reaching out after death of high school football player
- MDOT: Work on I-269 is on schedule, several phases at halfway point
- Margaritaville owner files for bankruptcy before landlord hearing
- Delta Council says condition of Highway 6 'of crisis dimensions'
- Severstal completes the sale of Columbus plant to Steel Dynamics
- City leaders vote against offering insurance to one adult, possibly same-sex partner
- Another marker going up on Mississippi Country Music Trail
- Researchers fly drone into hurricane for the first time
- House votes for transfer of Yellow Creek Port land to state