Communities honored for ‘Projects of Excellence’
by For the MBJ
Published: March 13,2011
ACROSS MISSISSIPPI — Gov. Haley Barbour and Gray Swoope, executive director of the Mississippi Development Authority (MDA), presented 13 Governor’s Community Projects of Excellence Awards during a recent ceremony at the Mississippi Department of Education building in downtown Jackson.
The awards were presented to community leaders and representatives from non-profit organizations for their outstanding use of Community Development Block Grant (CDBG), Emergency Shelter Grant Program (ESG), Capital Improvements Revolving Loan Program (CAP), Rural Impact Fund Program (RIF), Small Municipal and Limited Population County Grant Program (SMLPC) and Home Investment Partnerships Program (HOME) funds over the past year.
The state and federal funding programs, which provide assistance for community improvement projects, are administered by MDA’s Community Services Division.
In addition, two Gulf Coast municipalities were presented awards for their use of federal Hurricane Katrina Disaster Recovery CDBG funds, which are administered by MDA’s Disaster Recovery Division.
Governor’s Community Projects of Excellence Awards include:
• Coahoma County – Best CDBG Economic Development (ED)
• City of Magnolia – Best CDBG Public Facility
• Town of Braxton – Best CDBG Self-Help
• Haven House Family Shelter – Best Emergency Shelter Grant (ESG)
• Monroe County – Best Capital Improvements Revolving Loan (CAP)
• Calhoun City – Best Rural Impact Fund (RIF)
• Town of Taylorsville – Best Small Municipal and Limited Population County Grant (SMLPC)
• Valley Community Development Corporation – Best HOME Program Community Housing Development Organization (CHDO)
• Town of Ethel – Best HOME Program Homeowner Rehabilitation
• City of Holly Springs – Best HOME Program Homebuyer Assistance
• City of Gulfport – Best Katrina CDBG Community Revitalization
• The Lodge – Best Katrina CDBG Long Term Workforce Housing
• City of Ellisville – Best CDBG-Recovery
Source: Mississippi Development Authority
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- The Dan Jones-IHL saga: Is this the story that started it all?
- Email from Nash to Delta Council’s Morgan included in DHA court file
- Dan Jones rejects IHL offer, won't publicly apologize
- DAVID DALLAS — From Dan and Dixie with love
- Delta Health Alliance CEO Karen Fox under investigation for possible misuse of funds
- BREAKING NEWS: Trustees offer new deal to Ole Miss chancellor Dan Jones
- Suit against Kemper employee Brett Wingo is dismissed
- Ole Miss chancellor: Talks continue over job status
- Man charged in noose left on integration statue at Ole Miss