Northrop completes first drone fuselage for Navy
The Broad Area Maritime Surveillance program (BAMS) is the Navy’s version of the Air Force’s RQ-4 Global Hawk drone.
Navy officials have said the unmanned drones will use one-tenth of the fuel and 25 percent less manpower than manned surveillance options. They can go up to 60,000 feet high for a better view, compared to only about 25,000 feet in a manned P-3 aircraft.
The drones also can be used to watch hurricanes, assess damage after tsunamis and other disasters and alert merchant ships of potential piracy.
The fuselage finished, which was completed March 10, is the first of three in a $1.8-billion Navy design, development and construction contract. The Navy plan is to have 20 flying by 2019 and eventually order 68, a $10-billion prospect for Northrop.
Paul Diggs, deputy manager for the BAMS program’s integrated product team, said from Mississippi, the fuselage will go to Temecula, Calif., for calibration; Palmdale, Calif., for final assembly; back to Temecula for structural testing; then back to Palmdale “to finish buttoning it up.”
The first flight is scheduled for next May, he said.
Northrop’s high-tech assembly plant, just north of Trent Lott International Airport, employs 70.
Source: The Associated Press
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Mississippi State makes NSF ranking of research universities
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- TVA president/CEO Johnson tours Techumseh, Yokohama plants
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip
- Sawtimber, pulpwood markets improving, but challenges remain
- News The Way You Want It!