Speed returns to helm of MDA
Published: March 17,2011
JACKSON — Leland Speed, Gov. Haley Barbour’s first economic development agency director, will return to run the Mississippi Development Authority.
Barbour announced that Speed had agreed to return to MDA March 21 as its executive director for the remainder of Barbour’s term, which ends in January.
Speed replaces Gray Swoope, who is moving to a Florida.
Swoope became director of MDA in Jan. 2007, after Speed left the agency. Swoope had been second in command at the agency since 2004, when Barbour became governor.
“The return of Leland Speed to lead MDA will ensure a seamless transition and strong leadership for an agency with such an important task in these difficult economic times: Creating Mississippi jobs,” Barbour said. “Leland is an exceptional business leader who knows the needs of the private sector. I appreciate his dedication to public service.”
Speed is chairman of EastGroup Properties and Parkway Properties, real estate investment trusts (REITs). The National Association of Real Estate Investment Trusts presented him with the 2008 Industry Leadership Award.
Speed also served as airman 3/C and second lieutenant in the U.S. Air Force and served in intelligence with the Strategic Air Command.
Active in civic affairs, he serves as chairman of the Jackson State University Development Foundation, the Mississippi College Capital Campaign and the RAND Corporation Gulf States Policy Initiative. He also served as past chairman of the Metro Jackson Chamber of Commerce, United Way of the Capital Area, Goodwill Industries and Downtown Jackson Partners. He also serves on the Mississippi Main Street board.
A native of Jackson, Speed received his bachelor’s degree in industrial management from the Georgia Institute of Technology. He also holds a master’s degree in business administration from Harvard Business School.
Speed is married to the former Bessie Sarphie. They have three sons and nine grandchildren.
Source: The Associated Press
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- Woman found guilty of murder in buttocks injection case
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- Mississippi judge dismisses lawsuit seeking to overturn Sen. Cochran's GOP primary win
- Healthcare Marketplace to look much the same in 2015