Education Department critical of school board meetings
CARRIERE — The Pearl River County School Board has acknowledged criticism from the state Department of Education that it had frequently violated the Open Meetings Law.
The state report was presented to the board March 10. Board members began this week working on a response.
The Picayune Item reports that the audit, which was ordered by state Superintendent of Education Tom Burnham, alleged the board used executive sessions too frequently and did not clearly stating the reasons why it was entering executive session.
Board members this week they will move to follow the state’s open meetings law as closely as possible.
Schools superintendent Dennis E. Penton said problems found by the state are being corrected.
The audit also found the school board had inserted itself into administrative areas reserved for Penton and had interfered in personnel matters.
Board attorney Jim Keith saidthe issues between the state and the school administration and board will remain open between the parties until they are rectified.
The audit also found in some cases that the board recorded decisions but did not record the vote of members and gave no reasons for making the decisions, thus not providing enough detail in the minutes.
Source: The Associated Press
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Education Department critical of school board meetings”
Top Posts & Pages
- Spivey named Under 40 Business Person of the Year by the Mississippi Business Journal
- Bids on reworking Interstate 55 stretch are rejected
- JACK WEATHERLY: Economic development in these parts is a ‘family’ business
- The leadership styles of President Obama
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast
- JACK WEATHERLY: Finding a house, defending a neighborhood, finding a voice
- Report ranks state schools' performance 51st in the nation
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur