Michel not seeking reelection to State Senate
Published: March 28,2011
JACKSON — State Sen. J. Walter Michel, a Republican from Jackson, says he’s not seeking re-election.
Michel says in a news release he wants to devote his attention to his commercial real estate business.
Michel’s district covers portions of Madison and Hinds counties. He’s been in the Senate since winning a special election in 1999.
Michel is chairman of the Senate Economic Development Committee and vice-chairman of the Senate Banking Committee. He says he may consider a future statewide election or a return to the Senate.
Source: Associated Press
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Mississippi no longer has highest unemployment rate in nation
- McDaniel cites Gunn's challenge in his attempt to overturn loss to Cochran
- Payday lender, fired executive exchanging blame for lender’s regulatory woes
- Grain buyer’s bankruptcy could take steep toll on Delta farmers
- Once the bane of only Southerners, kudzu is migrating north and west
- UPDATE — David Watkins says JRA left him in dark about HUD's Farish St. involvement
- Mad Genius, Eyevox owner acquires Mississippi Film Studios
- SouthGroup Insurance named to 'Best Practices' study
- Senators push for protecting steel producers from imported rebar