Man gets jail time for mortgage fraud scheme
by Associated Press
Published: March 30,2011
BRANDON — A federal judge has sentenced a Brandon man to 33 months in prison for his role in a mortgage fraud scheme.
Shane Rothery pleaded guilty in October to mail fraud. Prosecutors say Rothery fabricated information on residential appraisals and inflated the property values so he and his accomplices could pocket the excess proceeds.
[ITAL]The Clarion-Ledger[ITAL] reports that U.S. Attorney John Dowdy Jr. told the court Tuesday that the loss amount attributable to the scheme, involving seven different properties and spanning less than one year, was $907,837.
Prosecutors say Rothery was not a licensed appraiser but made false documents based on his father’s license.
Source: The Clarion-Ledger
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- Mississippi State makes NSF ranking of research universities
- TVA president/CEO Johnson tours Techumseh, Yokohama plants
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip
- Sawtimber, pulpwood markets improving, but challenges remain
- News The Way You Want It!