Barbour calling special session over museums
by Associated Press
Published: March 31,2011
JACKSON — Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour says he’ll call a special session within the regular legislative next week so the House and Senate can quickly consider funding for a civil rights museum and a comprehensive state history museum.
The two projects have stalled during the regular session, and Barbour said today that he thinks it will be faster for lawmakers to start fresh in a special session.
He says the museums should be built with state money, then private money should be raised to help provide artifacts to put in the museums.
House and Senate negotiators reached a deal late yesterday on a nearly $5.5-billion budget for the year that begins July 1. The two chambers are expected to consider dozens of budget bills in the next few days.
In a statement, Barbour said, “The Legislature will be returning on Monday to complete the budget. While they are here, I will call a special session for the Legislature to consider funding the Civil Rights Museum and Museum of Mississippi History.
“These museums will enhance Mississippi’s image and play a critical role in education and tourism.”
Source: Associated Press; Governor’s Office
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Barbour calling special session over museums”
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- MSU researchers develop timber-management software
- New law on taxing methods hailed as big win for businesses
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Running luxury car dealerships, like Mercedes of Jackson, comes naturally to Trudy Higginbotham Moody
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip