Book Biz: Square Books touts Dean Faulkner Wells’ book about Oxford’s famous family
by Lynn Lofton
Published: April 3,2011
Square Books owner Richard Howarth feels Dean Faulkner Wells has written the definitive memoir of her famous uncle and other family members. After all there have been numerous books that sought to bring her famous uncle to life; some of them also written by family members and some by family friends.
“There is no one in the family left to dispute or complain about or be embarrassed by what Dean Faulkner Wells might say; so praise the Lord, she says it all,” Howarth said. “And she says it well. There have been other Faulkner family memoirs, but none of these gets the reader quite as close to what feels like the real thing as Dean Faulkner Wells, and it is due to this writer’s combination of honesty and artful prose.”
To the world William Faulkner was an award-winning literary giant. To Wells he was “Pappy,” the only father she knew. Her father and William Faulkner’s brother, Dean Swift Faulkner, died in a plane crash before his only child was born. William Faulkner raised her and educated her as his own. She is the sole surviving family member of the generation that followed that of William Faulkner.
“Given Dean Wells’ candor about her own life in this book, her insight into the lives of others has great verity,” Howarth said. “We get a credible glimpse of the lives of Jill, Vicki and Cho Cho; of Dean’s mother and father and stepfather; of other family members, friends; and, indeed, Faulkner’s lovers; and, of course, of ‘Pappy.’
“Because what Dean Wells writes is so well crafted and fascinating, in one sense you don’t really care who these people are, or whether they were famous or important. ‘Every Day in the Sun’ provides a beautiful rendition of a girl’s coming of age among an unusual family, and is highly entertaining and interesting, a must for Faulknerphiles, for Oxonians and for readers everywhere who enjoy fine books.”
Well-known Southern writers, including Mark Childress, Winston Groom, Ellen Gilchrist and Roy Blount Jr., have words of praise for “Every Day in the Sun,” too.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Book Biz: Square Books touts Dean Faulkner Wells’ book about Oxford’s famous family”
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- NEW IN MADISON COUNTY — Mississippi Bio-Medical Business Collaboratory to be introduced Friday
- Mississippi Film Studios signs contract with New Orleans company
- MDOT cutting more than 40 jobs in Right-of-Way Division
- Granddaughter of Barq's Root Beer founder dies at 90
- Turner Grain’s transition will help consolidate lawsuits alleging breach of contract
- GreenTech holds grand opening of neighborhood electric vehicle plant
- Mars Food expanding Delta plant; investing $31M and adding jobs
- Board authorizes sale of company that owns Silver Slipper Casino
- JRA plans image makeover, hires crisis manager