MDOT unveils new bicycle/pedestrian resolution
JACKSON — The Mississippi Department of Transportation (MDOT) has made public a new bicycle/pedestrian resolution that was adopted on March 22 by the Mississippi Transportation Commission.
The Mississippi Transportation Commission has determined that MDOT will implement and execute a policy of considering the development of multipurpose trails and/or wide-paved shoulders during the environmental and planning phases of all new highways and the re-construction of existing highways in or near communities with areas of high demand for recreational facilities.
The Federal Highway Administration has made the development of livable communities, including fully-integrated biking and walking networks, a priority. The Commission recognizes the important role that MDOT plays in creating and fostering communities where all Mississippi residents have safe and convenient access to recreation and transportation.
A multipurpose trail or wide-paved included in new highways and the reconstruction projects will also promote economic development and more livable communities, MDOT reports. It will also provide recreational, educational and economic benefits for hikers and bicyclists, and can function as an alternate mode of transportation for commuters, provide tremendous scenic qualities and serve as a tourist attraction for individuals of all ages, needs and abilities.
Source: Mississippi Department of Transportation
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
2 Responses to “MDOT unveils new bicycle/pedestrian resolution”
Top Posts & Pages
- ANITA MODAK-TRURAN — Mississippi’s motion picture renaissance
- Entergy gives solar a shot
- Challenging times ahead for Pearl’s manufactured home residents, apartment complex owners
- Critics say Pearl out to eliminate mobile homes and apartments – not safeguard them
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur
- State Sen. McDaniel traveling Mississippi to promote PAC
- Despite obstacles, craft beer industry growing
- (VIDEO) DON GLIDEWELL — The threat of cyber crime to businesses is real