Isle of Capri celebrating 20th anniversary of riverboat gaming
When the Diamond Lady left Bettendorf, Iowa, April 1, 1991, as the first riverboat casino to set sail in the nation, Bill Gustafson embarked on a journey of his own that he would begin as a security supervisor. Today, four gaming properties and three states later, he is back where it all began in Bettendorf as the senior director of operations at Isle Casino Hotel.
The State of Iowa legalized riverboat gaming in July 1989. Illinois, Mississippi and Colorado entered the race to legalize gaming in 1990 and Louisiana joined the race in 1991. Under the guidance of Bernard Goldstein a new industry was launched April 1, 1991, and Goldstein, who died in 2009, would become known as the “Father of Riverboat Gaming.”
Goldstein went on to found Isle of Capri Casinos Inc. in 1992. Now, the company, which was headquartered on the Mississippi Gulf Coast before relocating to St. Louis, Mo., celebrates the launch of riverboat gaming as one of the largest publicly traded gaming companies in the United States, operating 15 properties from Florida to Colorado and Iowa to Mississippi. Commercial casinos now operate in 13 states, with racetrack casinos legalized in another eight, according to the American Gaming Association’s “2010 State of the States” report.
Source: Isle of Capri Casinos Inc.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- Judge gets more time to fight efforts to remove him from office
- Voters to decide whether hunting, fishing is constitutional right
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Andrew Adams helps grow Addicus
- Coast cleanup nets 1,600 bags of trash — and a watermelon patch
- State's bad bridges continue to raise concerns among officials
- Number of visitors to Natchez Trace makes big jump
- MISSISSIPPI RISING: Time to sell the image
- Epidemiologist: State's hospitals can identify, isolate Ebola cases
- C Spire wins national award, cash prize for marketing analytics