UM pharmacy alum recognized
by MBJ Staff
Published: April 17,2011
Three University of Mississippi School of Pharmacy alumni were honored for their outstanding careers and contributions during Pharmacy Alumni Weekend March 25-26. Phil Ayers of Ridgeland and David Hudson of Kosciusko each received a 2011 Distinguished Alumnus Award, and Bob Broadus of Madisonville, La., received the Dean’s Service Award.
A clinical pharmacy specialist, Ayers is chief of clinical pharmacy services with Baptist Health Systems in Jackson and a clinical associate professor at the pharmacy school. He is a 1984 UM graduate and board-certified in nutrition support pharmacy. Ayers was the recipient of the school’s Clinical Sciences Teacher of the Year Award in 2007 and 2008, the American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition’s Excellence in Nutrition Support Education Award in 2011 and the Mississippi Society for Health-System Pharmacists’ Pharmacist of the Year in 2002 and 2009. Ayers chairs the deacons and leads a Bible study class at Pinelake Church in Ridgeland.
Hudson is a 1993 UM graduate who owns Sullivan’s Discount Drugs in Kosciusko and co-owns Howell and Heggie Drug Co. in Durant. He is a member of the Mississippi Pharmacists Association, National Community Pharmacists Association, Mississippi Independent Pharmacies Association and a member of the Mississippi State Board of Pharmacy. Hudson also is active in the Kosciusko community, where he is a deacon at First Baptist Church and former president of the Kosciusko Exchange Club.
A 1974 UM graduate, Broadus is director of state government affairs with Allergan. He has served as president of the Mississippi Pharmacists Association and the pharmacy school’s Dean’s Advisory Committee. While in school, he was president of the Student American Pharmaceutical Association. Broadus joined Allergen in 2004 after a 20-year career with Pharmacia & Upjohn. Since then, he has received the Government Affairs Director of the Year Award, Managed Markets Grace Under Fire Award, Managed Market Director’s Award and Allergan Peer Award.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- Woman found guilty of murder in buttocks injection case
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- Mississippi judge dismisses lawsuit seeking to overturn Sen. Cochran's GOP primary win
- Healthcare Marketplace to look much the same in 2015