USM faculty, staff honored
by MBJ Staff
Published: April 17,2011
Tags: Dr. Deanne Nuwer, Dr. Elaine White, Dr. Gaylynn Parker, Dr. Shirley Bowles, Human Performance and Recreation, John Brown, Michael Carroll, University of Southern Mississippi, Young Professional Award
Michael Carroll, assistant professor in the department of Human Performance and Recreation at the University of Southern Mississippi, received the Young Professional Award from the Sport and Recreation Law Association (SRLA) during its annual conference in Savannah, Ga.
The award recognizes a young professional who demonstrates commitment to the study and instruction of the legal aspects of sport and recreation, service to the field and SRLA, as well as the potential for future growth and excellence in those same areas.
Carroll’s interest in sport law was piqued several years ago while working on his master’s degree at the University of Florida. Since that time he has become immersed in the subject matter and hopes to one day earn his law degree.
In a separate item, the University of Southern Mississippi Gulf Park campus celebrated the university’s Centennial Year Founders’ Day with a reception honoring employees with a commemorative pin for their continuous service of 10 and 20 years.
Honored employees include: Dr. Gaylynn Parker, assistant professor of educational leadership and school counseling (10 years); Dr. Elaine White, associate professor of English and director of the Live Oak Writing Project, (10 years); Dr. Deanne Nuwer, associate professor of history and director of the Katrina Research Center, (10 years); Dr. Shirley Bowles, associate professor of curriculum, instruction and special education, (20 years); and, John Brown, CPA and instructor of accounting, (10 years).
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Wasted away — Margaritaville in Biloxi to close by Sept. 19
- WILLOUGHBY: Broadband Voice founder Gary Watts isn’t afraid to take chances
- Severstal selling plants, including Severstal Columbus
- McDaniel alleges GOP race-baiting; says party should be 'purged'
- Mississippi Power conducts successful tests at Kemper plant
- Seafood dealer/processor guilty of illegal handling of oysters
- Chevron U.S.A.'s base oil facility begins production
- Medical transportation company opening operation/call center
- Corn growers watch bear market eat profits
- Chinese drywall manufacturer fined, banned from doing business in U.S.