USM faculty, staff honored
by MBJ Staff
Published: April 17,2011
Tags: Dr. Deanne Nuwer, Dr. Elaine White, Dr. Gaylynn Parker, Dr. Shirley Bowles, Human Performance and Recreation, John Brown, Michael Carroll, University of Southern Mississippi, Young Professional Award
Michael Carroll, assistant professor in the department of Human Performance and Recreation at the University of Southern Mississippi, received the Young Professional Award from the Sport and Recreation Law Association (SRLA) during its annual conference in Savannah, Ga.
The award recognizes a young professional who demonstrates commitment to the study and instruction of the legal aspects of sport and recreation, service to the field and SRLA, as well as the potential for future growth and excellence in those same areas.
Carroll’s interest in sport law was piqued several years ago while working on his master’s degree at the University of Florida. Since that time he has become immersed in the subject matter and hopes to one day earn his law degree.
In a separate item, the University of Southern Mississippi Gulf Park campus celebrated the university’s Centennial Year Founders’ Day with a reception honoring employees with a commemorative pin for their continuous service of 10 and 20 years.
Honored employees include: Dr. Gaylynn Parker, assistant professor of educational leadership and school counseling (10 years); Dr. Elaine White, associate professor of English and director of the Live Oak Writing Project, (10 years); Dr. Deanne Nuwer, associate professor of history and director of the Katrina Research Center, (10 years); Dr. Shirley Bowles, associate professor of curriculum, instruction and special education, (20 years); and, John Brown, CPA and instructor of accounting, (10 years).
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Regions must pay $7.5 million in fines over illegal overdraft fees
- Bradley Arant Boult Cummings attorney Alan Perry takes office as IHL board president
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- CFPB wants repay ability at center of new payday loan rules
- Mississippian Glenn McCullough Jr. gets nod as new MDA chief
- Irby commits suicide after wife's prison release
- DAVID DALLAS: Getting a grip on LGBT issues
- The leadership styles of President Obama