Senators want pesticides regulation overturned
by For the MBJ
Published: April 19,2011
WASHINGTON — Sen. Thad Cochran (R-Miss.) has announced his support for prompt Senate Agriculture, Nutrition and Forestry Committee consideration of House-passed legislation to overturn a new level of regulatory burdens on the use of pesticides.
Cochran and all Republican members of the Senate Agriculture Committee have signed a letter to chairman Debbie Stabenow (D-Mich.) that asks her to bring up for debate and approval the Reducing Regulatory Burdens Act (HR.872).
The House March 31 passed HR.872 with a broad, bipartisan vote, 292-130. Written to overturn the new Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) pesticide requirements, the House-approved legislation has been referred to the Senate Agriculture Committee for consideration.
“I look forward to Senate Agriculture Committee consideration of legislation that received significant and bipartisan support in the House. That vote shows there is evident concern among policymakers about the Environmental Protection Agency’s proposed pesticide regulations,” Cochran said.
While noting the introduction of a similar Senate measure (S.718), the letter to Stabenow highlights the desire among farmers, municipal and public health officials and others to have Congress address the new regulations as soon as possible.
“Agriculture producers, forestry interests, public health officials, states, municipalities, and other impacted stakeholders have told us they are in imminent need of certainty for what may be required of them in the near future. State and local officials have made clear that this is not merely a regulatory burden but could endanger public health as we enter mosquito season,” the letter said.
The letter was sent by Ranking Member Pat Roberts (R-Kan.) and signed by Senators Cochran, Richard Lugar (R-Ind.), Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), Saxby Chambliss (R-Ga.), Mike Johanns (R-Neb.), John Boozman (R-Ark.), Charles Grassley (R-Iowa), John Thune (R-S.D.) and John Hoeven (R-N.D.).
Source: Sen. Thad Cochran
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Senators want pesticides regulation overturned”
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- MBJ Special report: MDA numbers help with cities’ retail pitches
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- COO of TL Wallace Construction keeps eye on revenue growth and profits
- RAISING AWARENESS — Lori Newcomb, family join fight against ovarian cancer
- Isle of Capri reports decreased in-state revenues; experiencing 'market pressures'
- DREAMS AND OYSTERS — Houstons set for August opening of Saltine in Fondren