Nissan expanding production at Canton plant
CANTON — Nissan is moving production of the Nissan Xterra SUV and Frontier pickup models to its Canton plant. Company officials from Nissan Americas announced the decision at the New York International Auto Show.
The move is part of Nissan’s plan to increase production of vehicles intended for North American markets at its production facilities in the region. The new lines will create about 300 jobs.
Nissan is moving production of the two vehicle models from its facility in Smyrna, Tenn., as the Smyrna plant is preparing to begin production of three new vehicles: the company’s new Infiniti JX model, the next-generation Rogue and Nissan LEAF.
Gov. Haley Barbour said, “This decision is a testament to high quality work performed by the employees in Canton.”
The Mississippi Development Authority worked closely with the company to help facilitate the project. The agency provided assistance through the Momentum Mississippi Incentives and Job Protection Grant programs, as well as assistance for training and infrastructure improvements.
Carlos Tavares, chairman of Nissan Americas, said in a company statement, “By 2015, 85 percent of the Nissan and Infiniti vehicles we sell in the Americas will be built here, up from the current localization rate of sixty-nine percent. With today’s announcement, we remain on track to localize our manufacturing base around the world – especially in the Americas. This drive for balance and flexibility across our operations is essential to support our growth plans in the region.”
Source: Gov. Haley Barbour
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Nissan expanding production at Canton plant”
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- New law on taxing methods hailed as big win for businesses
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- MSU researchers develop timber-management software
- Counties ‘hoping to get it right’ as they await Tuscaloosa Marine shale boom
- News The Way You Want It!