Barbour petitioning Obama for disaster declaration
by For the MBJ
Published: April 21,2011
AROUND MISSISSIPPI — Gov. Haley Barbour has requested President Obama declare Greene, Hinds and Kemper counties as major disaster areas, allowing residents who live in those counties to access federal government individual assistance programs.
If approved, individuals would be able to utilize federal aid to help with recovery needs from the storm system that crossed the state April 15.
The state reported one death, multiple injured residents and numerous destroyed residences as a result of this severe weather system. Officials from the Mississippi Emergency Management Agency and the Federal Emergency Management Agency have been in Greene, Hinds and Kemper, the most impacted counties, since the storms hit conducting damage assessments.
The governor is requesting the Individual Assistance Program, including the Individuals and Households Program, Disaster Unemployment Assistance, Crisis Counseling, Disaster Legal Services, the Disaster Food Stamps Program and Small Business Administration disaster loans for Greene, Hinds and Kemper counties as well as the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program statewide.
Source: Gov. Haley Barbour
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Omega Protein shifting vessels to Mississippi
- CARTOON — Nobile illustrates Thad Cochran's most significant advantage over the competition
- Bankrupt Simply Wheelz chooses prevailing bidder for assets
- Judge denies ex-mayor's motion to vacate Katrina-related conviction
- Wiseman retiring after nearly 30 years with Stennis Institute
- IKE TROTTER: There are primary changes in Social Security for 2014
- Real estate developer to plead guilty to wetlands violation
- PSC unanimously rejects Entergy-ITC proposed merger
- Company mulling plan to build new pipeline
- Alumni-couple donate $12.3M to Mississippi State