Barbour petitioning Obama for disaster declaration
by For the MBJ
Published: April 21,2011
AROUND MISSISSIPPI — Gov. Haley Barbour has requested President Obama declare Greene, Hinds and Kemper counties as major disaster areas, allowing residents who live in those counties to access federal government individual assistance programs.
If approved, individuals would be able to utilize federal aid to help with recovery needs from the storm system that crossed the state April 15.
The state reported one death, multiple injured residents and numerous destroyed residences as a result of this severe weather system. Officials from the Mississippi Emergency Management Agency and the Federal Emergency Management Agency have been in Greene, Hinds and Kemper, the most impacted counties, since the storms hit conducting damage assessments.
The governor is requesting the Individual Assistance Program, including the Individuals and Households Program, Disaster Unemployment Assistance, Crisis Counseling, Disaster Legal Services, the Disaster Food Stamps Program and Small Business Administration disaster loans for Greene, Hinds and Kemper counties as well as the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program statewide.
Source: Gov. Haley Barbour
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Baseball stadium for Farish Street? It’s possible
- White House hotel making comeback in Biloxi
- Guns OK inside Mississippi polling places, attorney general says
- Supreme Court deals blow to McDaniel's election challenge
- State GOP chairman calls on McDaniel to hurry with challenge
- McCarthy hired as CFO of Mississippi Development Authority
- Deal for daily Jackson-Orlando flight in works with Allegiant
- 'Get on Up' movie premiers in Madison with Chadwick Boseman and Tate Taylor walking the red carpet
- Explosion at Coast fish plant leaves one dead, three injured
- Former Gov. Musgrove pushing lawsuit to school districts