Barbour petitioning Obama for disaster declaration
by For the MBJ
Published: April 21,2011
AROUND MISSISSIPPI — Gov. Haley Barbour has requested President Obama declare Greene, Hinds and Kemper counties as major disaster areas, allowing residents who live in those counties to access federal government individual assistance programs.
If approved, individuals would be able to utilize federal aid to help with recovery needs from the storm system that crossed the state April 15.
The state reported one death, multiple injured residents and numerous destroyed residences as a result of this severe weather system. Officials from the Mississippi Emergency Management Agency and the Federal Emergency Management Agency have been in Greene, Hinds and Kemper, the most impacted counties, since the storms hit conducting damage assessments.
The governor is requesting the Individual Assistance Program, including the Individuals and Households Program, Disaster Unemployment Assistance, Crisis Counseling, Disaster Legal Services, the Disaster Food Stamps Program and Small Business Administration disaster loans for Greene, Hinds and Kemper counties as well as the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program statewide.
Source: Gov. Haley Barbour
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- BILL CRAWFORD: Dan Jones not the angel he is portrayed to be
- DAVID DALLAS — Just how long can Dan stand?
- Cal-Maine income skyrockets as prices rise and costs shrink
- The Dan Jones-IHL saga: Is this the story that started it all?
- Analysis: Closed meetings can feed false public impressions
- Lawmakers move on bonds despite complaints from colleges and universities
- Business groups file briefs in support of Kemper coal plant rehearing
- Grain scandal takes its toll on Delta farmers
- DAVID DALLAS — From Dan and Dixie with love