Files earns ACP mastership
by MBJ Staff
Published: April 24,2011
Dr. Joe Files, professor of medicine and director of the Division of Hematology at the University of Mississippi Medical Center, has received his mastership from the American College of Physicians, joining a select group of Mississippi physicians who have received the national organization’s highest recognition.
Four Mississippians, all University of Mississippi Medical Center faculty, have received mastership since it was established in 1923. They include Dr. Robert Blount, Dr. Harper Hellums, Dr. Peter Blake and Dr. James Achord.
A native Mississippian and University of Mississippi graduate, Files earned the M.D. at the Medical Center in 1972. He completed his residency at UMMC in internal medicine, including a year as chief resident. He then attended the University of Washington in Seattle for his hematology fellowship, where his primary focus was in the field of bone marrow transplant. He returned to join the Medical Center faculty in 1979.
Files has been an active member in the ACP for more than 30 years and served as the governor of Mississippi for the college from 2001-05. His primary focus has been patient care and resident education.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Files earns ACP mastership”
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- TECH 21 — Mississippi's most wanted in technology
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- Mississippi judge dismisses lawsuit seeking to overturn Sen. Cochran's GOP primary win
- Judge expected to rule today on McDaniel's challenge of loss to Cochran
- Isle of Capri reports decreased in-state revenues; experiencing 'market pressures'
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- Circuit clerks question how to get records to McDaniel's trial
- Chefs John Folse and Rick Tramonto are dotting every ‘i’ and crossing every ‘t’ in the development of Seafood R’evolution, which is set to open in November