Fleming sells newspaper, new owners relocating
MARKS — The century-old Quitman County Democrat has been sold to new owners in Batesville. J.B. Fleming, longtime editor and publisher, made the announcement in the April 14 edition of the weekly newspaper.
The new owners are Bill and Carol Knight. The sale was completed April 1.
Carol Knight is a former staffer at The Panolian. Bill Knight is employed as an accounting manager for Stringer International in Clarksdale.
“Bill and Carol are talented, hard-working people,” Fleming said in making the announcement. “We are in perfect agreement that this newspaper shall continue the tradition of community journalism and service. Every person who walks through the door will be treated with dignity and courtesy.”
Fleming has been the sole owner of the newspaper since the death of her husband, John Fleming, in 2009. She said she and Vivian Norris, the paper’s only other employee, will work with the Knights during the transition and in the future as needed.
The paper’s location will move to 317 Locust Street, Marks, in May. Phone and fax numbers, mailing and email addresses will remain the same.
Source: Mississippi Press Association
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- NEW IN MADISON COUNTY — Mississippi Bio-Medical Business Collaboratory to be introduced Friday
- Mississippi Film Studios signs contract with New Orleans company
- MDOT cutting more than 40 jobs in Right-of-Way Division
- Granddaughter of Barq's Root Beer founder dies at 90
- Turner Grain’s transition will help consolidate lawsuits alleging breach of contract
- GreenTech holds grand opening of neighborhood electric vehicle plant
- Mars Food expanding Delta plant; investing $31M and adding jobs
- Board authorizes sale of company that owns Silver Slipper Casino
- JRA plans image makeover, hires crisis manager