Fleming sells newspaper, new owners relocating
MARKS — The century-old Quitman County Democrat has been sold to new owners in Batesville. J.B. Fleming, longtime editor and publisher, made the announcement in the April 14 edition of the weekly newspaper.
The new owners are Bill and Carol Knight. The sale was completed April 1.
Carol Knight is a former staffer at The Panolian. Bill Knight is employed as an accounting manager for Stringer International in Clarksdale.
“Bill and Carol are talented, hard-working people,” Fleming said in making the announcement. “We are in perfect agreement that this newspaper shall continue the tradition of community journalism and service. Every person who walks through the door will be treated with dignity and courtesy.”
Fleming has been the sole owner of the newspaper since the death of her husband, John Fleming, in 2009. She said she and Vivian Norris, the paper’s only other employee, will work with the Knights during the transition and in the future as needed.
The paper’s location will move to 317 Locust Street, Marks, in May. Phone and fax numbers, mailing and email addresses will remain the same.
Source: Mississippi Press Association
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- A BIG CHANGE: New mortgage rules seen bringing increase in pricey mobile home loans
- DAVID DALLAS: Savor this Thanksgiving and be grateful
- Analyst: KiOR Columbus plant may end up sold as scrap
- Warden who lives hundreds of miles from jail resigns
- Jail kitchen supervisor pleads guilty to stealing food
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- (UPDATE) Gov. Bryant: $1.2 billion aluminum plant is a very exciting proposition for the state of Mississippi
- WILLOUGHBY: Bernie Reed cites hard work as key to success of Reed’s Metals
- Hunting-weapons legislation passes House