Natchez CVB: Flood will have little impact on city
by For the MBJ
Published: April 28,2011
NATCHEZ — The Natchez Convention & Visitors Bureau is fielding inquiries from travelers about the impact to the area from the rising Mississippi River, which is expected to see an historic flood. The CVB says with the exception of Natchez-Under-the-Hill, the city would not be impacted.
The CVB reports a number of travelers with vacation plans that include a stay in Natchez, Miss., have expressed their concerns about the rising Mississippi River and how it could affect their travel plans. The river is expected to crest at an unprecedented level over the next month according to the National Weather Service, which could make travel difficult in some low lying areas of Mississippi and Louisiana.
Natchez, however, is situated on a bluff over 200 feet above the river, and will not be affected by the flooding.
“A portion of the area below the bluff will certainly be affected by the flooding,” said director of tourism Connie Taunton, “but it won’t interfere with any tours, events or businesses that visitors come to Natchez to enjoy.”
The Natchez-Under-the-Hill area will feel the effects of the high water, and whether that area will be accessible or not is yet to be determined. Under-the-Hill Saloon, The Magnolia Grill and the Isle of Capri Casino are the only retail operations that might be in jeopardy, the CVB reports.
Source: Natchez CVB
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Spivey named Under 40 Business Person of the Year by the Mississippi Business Journal
- JACK WEATHERLY: Finding a house, defending a neighborhood, finding a voice
- Top 40 Under 40
- Bids on reworking Interstate 55 stretch are rejected
- Terminal upgrade on indefinite hold at Jackson International Airport
- JACK WEATHERLY: Economic development in these parts is a ‘family’ business
- CFPB wants repay ability at center of new payday loan rules
- MDA to close all its regional offices
- Top 40 Under 40 (digital magazine)