PCA: Construction recession could last another 18 months
SKOKIE, Ill. — While the economic recession is over and economic growth is strengthening, the construction recession may not run its course for another 18 months, hindering an improvement in cement consumption for the next two years, according to the most recent economic forecast from the Portland Cement Association (PCA).
In 2011, PCA anticipates marginal growth with a 2 percent increase in consumption. However, this will increase to 8.5 percent in 2012 and swell to 18.5 percent in 2013 when all construction sectors — residential, commercial and public — will be on the upswing.
“The economy clearly has entered a stage of self-sustaining growth, but impediments to a construction recovery are so large that it will take until 2012 to see significant increases in activity,” Edward Sullivan, PCA chief economist said. “Tight lending standards, declining property values and reduced state infrastructure spending all need to be resolved for a true recovery in construction.”
Sullivan expects two areas of non-residential construction to grow in 2011: oil/gas well construction and farm construction. With high energy prices predicted for the next several years, oil well cement consumption is expected to record strength during 2011-2012 and beyond. Farm construction activity is predicted to grow 9 percent in 2011.
Source: Portland Cement Association
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- HUNTER ARNOLD: Mississippi, Gulf Coast states focus on global business markets
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- Ridgeland property rights tussle is expected to have wide impact
- BILL CRAWFORD: Keep schools free from preventable diseases
- Report ranks state schools' performance 51st in the nation
- JOSH MABUS — Mississippi’s Healthcare: Not a quality problem, a marketing problem
- PHIL HARDWICK: When will Mississippi change its culture?
- The leadership styles of President Obama
- Host families prepare for Mississippi Braves’ season