Peoples’ numbers back in the black as loan losses fall
by For the MBJ
Published: April 28,2011
BILOXI — Peoples Financial Corporation, parent of The Peoples Bank, earned $438,000 in the first quarter of 2011, compared to a loss of $1.197 million in the last quarter of 2010, announced Chevis C. Swetman, chairman and CEO of the holding company and the bank.
The provision for loan losses in the first quarter of 2011 fell to $641,000, compared to $3.065 million in the fourth quarter of 2010 and $1.15 million in the first quarter a year ago.
“All these metrics indicate to us that maybe, just maybe, the business cycle has finally hit bottom,” said Swetman. “Of course, there is no guarantee that our local economy will not bounce along the bottom for a while, because we see virtually no up-tick in loan demand yet.”
Source: Peoples Financial Corporation
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Peoples’ numbers back in the black as loan losses fall”
Top Posts & Pages
- Spivey named Under 40 Business Person of the Year by the Mississippi Business Journal
- Bids on reworking Interstate 55 stretch are rejected
- JACK WEATHERLY: Finding a house, defending a neighborhood, finding a voice
- Terminal upgrade on indefinite hold at Jackson International Airport
- JACK WEATHERLY: Economic development in these parts is a ‘family’ business
- Report ranks state schools' performance 51st in the nation
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast
- CFPB wants repay ability at center of new payday loan rules
- Hosemann to launch crowd funding program