Peoples’ numbers back in the black as loan losses fall
by For the MBJ
Published: April 28,2011
BILOXI — Peoples Financial Corporation, parent of The Peoples Bank, earned $438,000 in the first quarter of 2011, compared to a loss of $1.197 million in the last quarter of 2010, announced Chevis C. Swetman, chairman and CEO of the holding company and the bank.
The provision for loan losses in the first quarter of 2011 fell to $641,000, compared to $3.065 million in the fourth quarter of 2010 and $1.15 million in the first quarter a year ago.
“All these metrics indicate to us that maybe, just maybe, the business cycle has finally hit bottom,” said Swetman. “Of course, there is no guarantee that our local economy will not bounce along the bottom for a while, because we see virtually no up-tick in loan demand yet.”
Source: Peoples Financial Corporation
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Peoples’ numbers back in the black as loan losses fall”
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- MBJ Special report: MDA numbers help with cities’ retail pitches
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- COO of TL Wallace Construction keeps eye on revenue growth and profits
- Woman found guilty of murder in buttocks injection case
- RAISING AWARENESS — Lori Newcomb, family join fight against ovarian cancer