Corps holding meeting at Eagle Lake about levee work
EAGLE LAKE — The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Vicksburg District, participated in an informational meeting sponsored by Warren County this morning at the Eagle Lake Fire Station building at Eagle Lake just north of Vicksburg. The focus of the meeting was the flooding Mississippi River.
All residents and landowners of the Eagle Lake Community were invited.
Warren County officials discussed high water issues to include public safety, security measures and road access. Corps officials also discussed the improvements at Buck Chute and the potential impacts to the water elevation of Eagle Lake.
The Corps is working to strengthen a section of the Mississippi River main line levee system at Buck Chute near Eagle Lake where several sand boils have been previously identified. A sand boil occurs as a result of high seepage pressures at the land-side of the levee during high water stages.
The improvements consist of clearing existing vegetation and constructing an earthen dike that will enclose an area to be filled with sand. This berm will control seepage pressures on the land-side of the levee and prevent the transport of materials under the levee system.
Although this work was scheduled to occur in the fall of this year, it had to be moved-up in response to the current high water.
Because of the high water stages on the Mississippi River, a deviation from the normal water level control plan for Eagle Lake was requested and granted. This temporary change will increase the lake water level to an initial elevation of 90 feet. The temporary increase in the water level is required in response to the high river levels forecasted by the National Weather Service, which is currently estimated to reach 53.5 feet on the Vicksburg gauge May 18. The increased lake level will help to offset the pressure caused by high riverside water level and is necessary to increase the safety of the levees in this area, according to the Corps.
Source: Corps of Engineers
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Corps holding meeting at Eagle Lake about levee work”
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Mississippi Film Studios signs contract with New Orleans company
- Mars Food expanding Delta plant; investing $31M and adding jobs
- Watkins says JRA out to block him from Farish by repaying HUD $1.5M
- Pickering lists concerns over Mississippi Adequate Education Program formula
- Peavey's wellness program honored after workers drop 1,000 pounds
- Group, lesbian couples look to overturn state's ban on same-sex marriages
- Board authorizes sale of company that owns Silver Slipper Casino
- MDOT cutting more than 40 jobs in Right-of-Way Division
- NEW IN MADISON COUNTY — Mississippi Bio-Medical Business Collaboratory to be introduced Friday