Corps holding meeting at Eagle Lake about levee work
EAGLE LAKE — The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Vicksburg District, participated in an informational meeting sponsored by Warren County this morning at the Eagle Lake Fire Station building at Eagle Lake just north of Vicksburg. The focus of the meeting was the flooding Mississippi River.
All residents and landowners of the Eagle Lake Community were invited.
Warren County officials discussed high water issues to include public safety, security measures and road access. Corps officials also discussed the improvements at Buck Chute and the potential impacts to the water elevation of Eagle Lake.
The Corps is working to strengthen a section of the Mississippi River main line levee system at Buck Chute near Eagle Lake where several sand boils have been previously identified. A sand boil occurs as a result of high seepage pressures at the land-side of the levee during high water stages.
The improvements consist of clearing existing vegetation and constructing an earthen dike that will enclose an area to be filled with sand. This berm will control seepage pressures on the land-side of the levee and prevent the transport of materials under the levee system.
Although this work was scheduled to occur in the fall of this year, it had to be moved-up in response to the current high water.
Because of the high water stages on the Mississippi River, a deviation from the normal water level control plan for Eagle Lake was requested and granted. This temporary change will increase the lake water level to an initial elevation of 90 feet. The temporary increase in the water level is required in response to the high river levels forecasted by the National Weather Service, which is currently estimated to reach 53.5 feet on the Vicksburg gauge May 18. The increased lake level will help to offset the pressure caused by high riverside water level and is necessary to increase the safety of the levees in this area, according to the Corps.
Source: Corps of Engineers
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Corps holding meeting at Eagle Lake about levee work”
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Mississippi no longer has highest unemployment rate in nation
- McDaniel cites Gunn's challenge in his attempt to overturn loss to Cochran
- Grain buyer’s bankruptcy could take steep toll on Delta farmers
- UPDATE — David Watkins says JRA left him in dark about HUD's Farish St. involvement
- Mad Genius, Eyevox owner acquires Mississippi Film Studios
- Once the bane of only Southerners, kudzu is migrating north and west
- Payday lender, fired executive exchanging blame for lender’s regulatory woes
- Senators push for protecting steel producers from imported rebar
- FEMA awards grant to defray costs of moving tornado-damaged hospital