Pharmacy group responds to Barbour signing S.B. 2445
JACKSON — The National Community Pharmacists Association (NCPA) has issued a statement regarding Gov. Haley Barbour signing into law S.B. 2445, which reauthorizes the Mississippi Pharmacy Practice Act and requires pharmacy benefit managers (PBMs) to be subject to oversight by the Mississippi Board of Pharmacy.
B. Douglas Hoey, RPh, MBA, NCPA executive vice president and CEO, said, “This common-sense law received almost unanimous support in the Mississippi House and Senate. With Gov. Barbour’s signature this week, he has positioned his state as one of the leaders in providing badly needed oversight of out-of-state PBMs, which often engage in questionable business practices that have occasionally resulted in legal fines. The interests of patients and small businesses are best served by putting these giant corporate prescription drug middlemen under the control of the Mississippi Board of Pharmacy.
“The PBMs lobbied furiously against the bill, which is why we felt an obligation to also weigh in on behalf of the 441 Mississippi independent community pharmacies and the thousands of patients they serve in a letter we sent to State Rep. Mark Formby last month. Our hope is that other states will follow this approach, because it will ensure that a premium is placed on transparency and fairness and not the size of PBMs’ profit margins. It makes sense to have PBMs subject to Board of Pharmacy oversight, since pharmacists, drug manufacturers and distributors are already under their control.”
Source: National Community Pharmacists Association
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Pharmacy group responds to Barbour signing S.B. 2445”
Top Posts & Pages
- Barbour to lead Butler Snow economic development firm
- (UPDATE) Prison won’t interrupt ex-prison chief’s retirement cash flow
- JOSH MABUS — Inbound marketing is fueled by wishful thinking
- Kemper plant employee gag order continued
- Ex-prison boss and businessman admit to bribery scheme
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY — Doug Dale’s self-awareness helps lift him to top of his game
- The leadership styles of President Obama
- Delta State conference brings renowned speakers
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur