MDOT gives update on Delta highways as waters rise
by For the MBJ
Published: May 6,2011
MISSISSIPPI DELTA — The Mississippi Department of Transportation (MDOT) has released an update on roadways that are or could be affected by Mississippi River high floodwaters.
“There is no exact science to this, so it’s imperative that state and federal agencies work closely to lead us through this crisis,” said Central District Transportation Commissioner Dick Hall.
The only current road closure due to Mississippi River flooding is SR 465 in Warren and Issaquena counties between U.S. 61 and Eagle Lake. It is closed until further notice.
Probable future road closures include:
• U.S. 61 in Warren and Claiborne counties south of Vicksburg and north of Port Gibson at the Big Black River crossing
• U.S. 61 in Warren County north of Vicksburg at the U.S. 61/SR 3 intersection near Redwood
• U.S. 61 in Warren County north of Vicksburg at the U.S. 61/SR 465 intersection north of Yazoo River Bridge near Redwood
• SR 3 in Warren County, approximately 2.3 miles north of the U.S. 61/SR 3 intersection.
• SR 16/SR 149 (Old Highway 49 West) in Yazoo County at the Whittington Auxiliary Channel near Wolf Lake to Yazoo River
• U.S. 49 West – Humphreys and Yazoo counties at Wittington Auxiliary Channel south of Silver City to Yazoo River
• U.S. 49 East in Yazoo County north of Eden.
• SR 1 in Sharkey and Issaquena counties west of U.S. 61 at the SR 1/SR 465 intersection
• SR 16/County Road 16 in Sharkey County in the vicinity of Delta National Forest.
• SR 24 in Wilkinson County at Lake Mary Road near Fort Adams.
Possible future road closures include SR 3 in Yazoo County at Yazoo City and U.S. 49 East in Yazoo County near Mississippi Chemical.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- UMMC reaching out after death of high school football player
- Thousands of acres of Delta farmland to go on auction block
- Former Godwin CEO Danny Mitchell dies at 66
- Tragedy for Jackson Prep: Football player Walker Wilbanks dies
- Northrop Grumman lands $354M Air Force contract for Global Hawks
- Board files suit against VA over release of patients' names
- Gov. Bryant sets special election date for Senate District 17
- City trying to determine who has authority to spend gaming money
- Mississippi sounds coming to Americana Music Festival & Conference