Barbour asks for expedited federal assistance
by For the MBJ
Published: May 9,2011
MISSISSIPPI DELTA — Gov. Haley Barbour is requesting President Obama declare 14 counties in the Mississippi Delta as disaster areas as a result of ongoing and expected major flooding.
The counties requested include Adams, Bolivar, Claiborne, Coahoma, DeSoto, Jefferson, Humphreys, Issaquena, Sharkey, Tunica, Warren, Washington, Wilkinson and Yazoo counties. Other counties may be added as appropriate.
“These counties will be impacted by backwater flooding, and residents should take the necessary precautions now,” Barbour said. “This disaster declaration will help our local governments and state agencies prepare for the flooding and start helping those communities with recovery plans.”
State and federal officials are conducting coordinated preparation efforts under previously declared federal emergency. If granted, this request would provide additional federal aid to affected local governments, individuals and businesses.
The governor is requesting: public assistance for Categories A-G for the 14 counties; individual assistance including the Individuals and Households Program, Crisis Counseling, Disaster Unemployment Assistance, USDA food coupons and distribution, USDA food commodities, Disaster Legal Services, the Disaster Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program and Small Business Administration disaster loans for the 14 counties; and the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program statewide.
Source: Governor’s Office
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
3 Responses to “Barbour asks for expedited federal assistance”
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- NEW IN MADISON COUNTY — Mississippi Bio-Medical Business Collaboratory to be introduced Friday
- Mississippi Film Studios signs contract with New Orleans company
- MDOT cutting more than 40 jobs in Right-of-Way Division
- Granddaughter of Barq's Root Beer founder dies at 90
- Turner Grain’s transition will help consolidate lawsuits alleging breach of contract
- GreenTech holds grand opening of neighborhood electric vehicle plant
- Mars Food expanding Delta plant; investing $31M and adding jobs
- Board authorizes sale of company that owns Silver Slipper Casino
- JRA plans image makeover, hires crisis manager