Water over-topping old levee, main levee holding
MISSISSIPPI DELTA — The anticipated overtopping of an abandoned, privately owned section of levee occurred May 7, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers reports.
This overtopping occurred on a section of levee in front of the mainline levee approximately seven miles east of Eudora, Ark. This privately owned levee is located at the north end of Grand Lake, east of the mainline Mississippi River levee.
The anticipated overtopping will not have any significant effect on the mainline levee system, according to the Corps. The observed area of overtopping is approximately five feet wide by three-inches deep.
As the river continues to rise, the overtopping will eventually affect approximately 500 acres of agricultural land and a similar sized section of land where materials were excavated to construct the mainline levee system.
This area of agricultural land is located between the mainline levee system and the Mississippi River.
Source: U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Ingalls to lease former SRHS clinic in Gautier for employee medical center
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- WILLOUGHBY: Mayo Flynt leads AT&T Mississippi by enjoying both work and workers
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Gary Herring building tomorrow by educating today
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option
- J.McLaughlin to open in Highland Village next spring