Eighteen counties receive federal disaster declaration
by For the MBJ
Published: May 10,2011
ACROSS MISSISSIPPI — Residents in 18 counties affected by the severe storms, flooding and tornadoes April 15-April 28 are now eligible for federal disaster assistance.
Federal Emergency Management Agency Administrator Craig Fugate added the 18 counties to the federal disaster declaration, bringing the total number of counties eligible for individual assistance to 29.
“This declaration will allow residents in these counties to access much needed federal assistance to begin rebuilding their lives,” Gov. Haley Barbour said.
The new counties declared include Alcorn, Attala, Clay, Coahoma, DeSoto, Grenada, Holmes, Leflore, Marshall, Montgomery, Newton, Panola, Quitman, Smith, Sunflower, Tishomingo, Tunica and Winston.
Counties already declared include Chickasaw, Choctaw, Clarke, Greene, Hinds, Jasper, Kemper, Lafayette, Monroe, Neshoba and Webster.
Residents in these counties may register with FEMA for assistance online at www.disasterassistance.gov or by calling 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) or 1-800-462-7585(TTY) for the hearing and speech impaired. The toll-free telephone numbers will operate from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. seven days a week until further notice.
Individual assistance includes grants to help pay for rental housing, home repairs and other serious disaster-related expenses not met by insurance or other assistance programs.
Source: Governor’s Office
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Spivey named Under 40 Business Person of the Year by the Mississippi Business Journal
- JACK WEATHERLY: Finding a house, defending a neighborhood, finding a voice
- Top 40 Under 40
- Terminal upgrade on indefinite hold at Jackson International Airport
- Bids on reworking Interstate 55 stretch are rejected
- JACK WEATHERLY: Economic development in these parts is a ‘family’ business
- MDA to close all its regional offices
- CFPB wants repay ability at center of new payday loan rules
- Top 40 Under 40 (digital magazine)