MEMA: Mass evacuation plan in place for Washington County
by For the MBJ
Published: May 11,2011
GREENVILLE — The Mississippi Emergency Management Agency reports a plan has been developed for a mass evacuation of Washington County and the Delta’s largest city, Greenville, if a breach in the main levee system occurs due to the flooding Mississippi River.
MEMA said while breaches are considered unlikely, a mass evacuation plan for Washington County is in place if needed.
Notice of an evacuation would be given over NOAA weather radios, the emergency alert system, warning sirens and local media. The county’s 52,000 residents should make their way to U.S. 82 and chose either the east or west direction, based on their personal destination needs.
Potential of backwater flooding over Mississippi 12 should discourage residents from seeking that as an alternate route. Highways 438, 454 and U.S. 1 are not expected to go underwater during the evacuation.
Residents without access to transportation should contact the Washington County Convention and Visitors Bureau at (662) 334-2711 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. from Wednesday until Friday to register for bus transportation in the event of an evacuation. Locations for short-term sheltering will be announced later.
All residents are encouraged to have a disaster plan in place including evacuation destinations, a full tank of gas, and a personal disaster kit. Office disaster plans should not be overlooked.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- BILL CRAWFORD: Dan Jones not the angel he is portrayed to be
- DAVID DALLAS — Just how long can Dan stand?
- The Dan Jones-IHL saga: Is this the story that started it all?
- Cal-Maine income skyrockets as prices rise and costs shrink
- Analysis: Closed meetings can feed false public impressions
- Lawmakers move on bonds despite complaints from colleges and universities
- Business groups file briefs in support of Kemper coal plant rehearing
- Grain scandal takes its toll on Delta farmers
- DAVID DALLAS — From Dan and Dixie with love