Twin Creeks officially opens solar panel manufacturing plant
SENATOBIA — Gov. Haley Barbour was in attendance yesterday for the opening of Twin Creeks Technologies Inc., a Silicon Valley-based manufacturer of crystalline silicon solar panels.
In April 2010, Barbour and Twin Creeks’ CEO Dr. Siva Sivaram announced the company would be constructing its first 100-megawatt manufacturing facility in Senatobia.
The new plant will create 500 jobs, in two phases, over a five-year period and represents a corporate investment of $175 million.
The opening of the factory marks the successful entry of the renewable energy company into northern Mississippi.
Barbour said, “This innovative company is a prime example of the types of businesses we are recruiting — advanced manufacturing with high-quality, high-paying jobs for Mississippi workers in growing sectors such as energy.”
“The vital support of the local community throughout the speedy completion of phase one of construction has reinforced our decision to select Senatobia, Miss., for our first production facility,” said Twin Creeks vice president of operations Reza Nikfar.
With the opening of the Senatobia facility, Twin Creeks completes the first step in meeting its commitment to northern Mississippi. Since breaking ground less than one year ago, 150 local workers have been employed in construction of the factory. In addition, approximately 70 percent of the resources used to complete phase one of construction were locally sourced.
Construction of the new facility will continue over the next four-to-five years, resulting in a 250,000-square-foot manufacturing site upon completion.
Staffing the operation will require talent from local academic institutions such as Northwest Mississippi Community College, the University of Mississippi and Mississippi State University. Twin Creeks has established four scholarships for math, engineering and materials science students at these schools in an effort to support a locally hired workforce.
Source: Gov. Haley Barbour
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- TECH 21 — Mississippi's most wanted in technology
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- Mississippi judge dismisses lawsuit seeking to overturn Sen. Cochran's GOP primary win
- Judge expected to rule today on McDaniel's challenge of loss to Cochran
- Isle of Capri reports decreased in-state revenues; experiencing 'market pressures'
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- Circuit clerks question how to get records to McDaniel's trial
- Chefs John Folse and Rick Tramonto are dotting every ‘i’ and crossing every ‘t’ in the development of Seafood R’evolution, which is set to open in November