The First buying eight Whitney bank branches
by For the MBJ
Published: May 18,2011
HATTIESBURG and GULFPORT — Executives of The First Bancshares Inc., Whitney National Bank and Hancock Bank of Louisiana announced that a subsidiary of The First Bancshares, The First, A National Banking Association, has entered into a branch purchase and assumption agreement with Whitney National Bank and Hancock Bank of Louisiana to acquire seven Whitney branches located on the Mississippi Gulf Coast and one Whitney branch in Bogalusa, La.
Terms were not disclosed.
As part of the branch acquisition, Hattiesburg-based The First expects to acquire approximately $68 million in loans and to assume approximately $195 million in deposits.
The First president and CEO M. Ray “Hoppy” Cole Jr., said, “The First is excited about the opportunity to more than double our presence along the Mississippi Gulf Coast, which we believe is a very attractive market, as well as expand into the neighboring Louisiana market.”
On Dec. 22, 2010, Gulfport-based Hancock Holding Company, parent company of Hancock Bank, and New Orleans-based Whitney Holding Corporation, parent company of Whitney, announced that the companies had entered into a definitive agreement for Hancock Holding to acquire Whitney Holding, subject to regulatory and shareholder approvals and other customary closing conditions.
On May 17, Hancock and Whitney agreed to sell the eight Mississippi and Louisiana branches to the First to resolve certain branch concentration concerns of the U.S. Department of Justice relating to the merger of Whitney into Hancock.
The branch acquisition by The First is contingent on the closing of the proposed merger between Hancock Holding and Whitney Holding, which is expected to occur in the second quarter of 2011.
Source: Hancock Holding
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Ingalls to lease former SRHS clinic in Gautier for employee medical center
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur
- Pearl ordering rental properties to retrofit with sprinklers, build storm shelters
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast