Tunica casinos finally reopen as floodwaters recede
by For the MBJ
Published: May 22,2011
TUNICA — Horseshoe Casino and Hotel and Tunica Roadhouse Casino and Hotel have reopened after being temporarily closed for almost three weeks due to the Mississippi River rising just shy of record levels.
Caesars Entertainment Corporation owns and operates three casino properties in Tunica, Mississippi — Harrah’s Tunica, Horseshoe Casino and Hotel and Tunica Roadhouse Casino and Hotel.
Horseshoe Casino and Hotel reopened May 20 with an employee rally and soft opening at 1 p.m. and a publicly advertised opening and festivities at 4 p.m. Guests received commemorative flood t-shirts at Horseshoe and Tunica Roadhouse casinos.
Tunica Roadhouse was reopened May 19.
The reopening celebration included a $50,000 donation to the American Red Cross from the Caesars Foundation.
“This historic flood has truly been a trying time for our community,” said R. Scott Barber, regional president, Caesars Mid-South. “Although we committed to paying our employees during the closure the uncertainty of the damage and affects on business has taken a toll on all of us. While we are overjoyed that we are able to get back to business and reopen Horseshoe and Tunica Roadhouse we also want to show our commitment to the community, just as our employees did recently by volunteering in their free time, with a $50,000 donation to the American Red Cross from the Caesars Foundation.”
Caesars’ third Tunica casino, Harrah’s Tunica, remains temporarily closed due to flood water and inaccessibility. Caesars executives are optimistic about being able to open Harrah’s Casino before Memorial Day. Harrah’s Tunica does have two hotels, a golf course, a spa, a convention center, an RV Park and Kids Quest arcade that are all open. These operations were never closed because they are located on the protected side of the levee.
Source: Caesars Entertainment
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Oxford’s FNC getting new headquarters
- QUIRKY? NO, JERKY — Whatever your craving, Beef Jerky Outlets likely has the flavor among 200+ choices
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- TECH 21 — Mississippi's most wanted in technology
- Federal charges dropped against Shumate after guilty plea
- ALAN TURNER — The ‘Internet of things’ is focus of Camgian's Gary Butler
- Cochran's attorneys argue for dismissal of McDaniel's lawsuit
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY — State roots key to Edge Theory's Joe Stradinger
- MEMA warns of hottest temperatures of the year