FHWA gives approval for proposed U.S. 45 bypass
by For the MBJ
Published: May 30,2011
COLUMBUS — The Mississippi Department of Transportation (MDOT) has received approval from the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) for the environmental sssessment of the U.S. 45 Columbus Bypass project in Lowndes County.
The purpose for the environmental assessment was to address the social, economic and environmental impacts of constructing a U.S. 45 four-lane facility on new alignment in the Columbus area. The “Finding of No Significant Impact” (FONSI) provides evidence and analysis of the evaluation process. As a result, it was determined that the proposed construction will have no significant impact to the human and natural environment.
“We are pleased with the opportunity to move a step closer to the construction of the U.S. 45 Bypass,” said Northern District Transportation Commissioner Mike Tagert.
FHWA approval of the selected “Alternative B Modified” authorizes MDOT to proceed with the design phase of the proposed bypass, which will begin at U.S. 82 and extend north to the Columbus Air Force Base. The project’s purpose is to alleviate traffic congestion and reduce heavy truck traffic along the existing five-lane section U.S. 45.
The FONSI will be available for public inspection at the Mississippi Department of Transportation Administrative Office Building, Environmental/Location Division, 401 Northwest Street, Jackson,; the MDOT First District Office, Tupelo,; the Lowndes County Chancery Clerk, Columbus,; Columbus City Hall; the Columbus/Lowndes County Public Library and the Federal Highway Administration, 100 West Capitol Street, Suite 1062, Jackson.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “FHWA gives approval for proposed U.S. 45 bypass”
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Gary Herring building tomorrow by educating today
- 'Blue Economy' important for Mississippi's future
- J.McLaughlin to open in Highland Village next spring
- WILLOUGHBY: Mayo Flynt leads AT&T Mississippi by enjoying both work and workers
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option