MDOT plans to add lanes to I-55 South
by For the MBJ
Published: June 2,2011
HINDS COUNTY — The Mississippi Department of Transportation (MDOT) has announced an upcoming construction project along I-55 South from the Copiah County line to McDowell Road in Hinds County.
Due to the aging pavement, congestion and the high traffic volume on I-55 South, MDOT has contracted Florence and Hutcheson to prepare environmental documents and plans for a project to replace the existing pavement and add lanes to I-55 South.
This project would add two additional lanes between Terry and McDowell roads for a total of six lanes.
Additional lanes will not be added between the Hinds/Copiah County line and Terry. From the Hinds/Copiah County line northward to Terry, the project will only require removal and replacement of the existing pavement. In this section of I-55, the interstate will remain a four-lane facility.
“It did not make sense to overlay this existing roadway one more time. That would be a case of throwing good money after bad,” says Central Transportation Commissioner Dick Hall. “Even though it is going to cost a lot more reconstructing this highway and adding lanes, this is a much better expenditure of the taxpayers’ money.”
The existing composite or concrete pavement will be removed and replaced with asphalt paving.
The current schedule calls for letting the project in the spring of 2012 with an estimated construction cost of $80 million. While plan development has just started, it is anticipated that 24–30 months will be required to complete the project.
This project is the first phase of a planned ultimate project that would also address the existing interchanges and frontage roads within the area.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- George Flaggs regrets repayment flaw in lending law
- Mississippi judge dismisses lawsuit seeking to overturn Sen. Cochran's GOP primary win
- TECH 21 — Mississippi's most wanted in technology
- Chefs John Folse and Rick Tramonto are dotting every ‘i’ and crossing every ‘t’ in the development of Seafood R’evolution, which is set to open in November
- Bryant issues executive order to establish Delta water task force
- PEDIGREE dog food recalled; might contain metal fragments