Vision adds Florida flight at Tunica Municipal
Published: June 5,2011
TUNICA — Atlanta-based Vision Airlines has launched nonstop service between Tunica Municipal Airport and Northwest Florida International Airport in Destin-Ft. Walton Beach, Fla.
Tunica officials told The Commercial Appeal that they hope the lure of a low-cost vacation travel option will generate increased business at area casinos and tourist attractions from people passing through.
“This new partnership will open Tunica to a whole new audience,” added Cliff Nash, executive director of the airport.
Vision announced last month that it was expanding its network to offer connecting flights through its hub in Destin-Ft. Walton Beach. In addition to direct service to Destin, passengers boarding in Tunica can now book travel to Baton Rouge, La., and Las Vegas.
The airline will offer five flights a week between Tunica and Destin aboard a 32-passenger Dornier 328 turbo-prop.
The new routes by Vision will bolster traffic that has grown steadily at the Tunica airport, built in 2003 largely to serve the area’s casino industry. By 2009, the airport had received 67,000 passengers.
A $781,524 Federal Aviation Administration grant last summer financed a 10,500-square-foot building that airport operators termed a short-term project to bridge the gap until a larger terminal is erected.
Source: The Commercial Appeal
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Vision adds Florida flight at Tunica Municipal”
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Congressional delegation applauds Air Force's decision on Keesler, but not satisfied
- Businessman involved in Frankel insurance scam dies at 81
- Report: Mississippi sees biggest hike in home insurance premiums in U.S.
- Giles Ward will not seek reelection to Senate
- County rescinds gun ban; sheriff says lawmakers may 'deal with the consequences'
- (UPDATED) Making Jackson-Evers affordable to Allegiant is key to regaining Orlando service
- Commission to decide if emergency should be declared in Delta school system
- Leadership in Law nomination form
- Ex-state employee gets jail time for embezzling from school
- MDOT study: State's airports generate $2.5B-plus in economic activity