Supreme Court to hear schools’ Chevron tax appeal
by Associated Press
Published: June 13,2011
PASCAGOULA — The Pascagoula School District will ask the Mississippi Supreme Court to throw out a 2007 state law that requires it to share future tax dollars generated from Chevron facilities with other school districts.
A local judge upheld the constitutionality of the law. The Supreme Court is scheduled to hear the school district’s appeal today in Jackson.
The law requires that property taxes generated from new expansions at Chevron Refinery and liquefied natural gas facilities in Pascagoula would be shared among the Pascagoula, Moss Point, Ocean Springs and Jackson County school districts.
Under the law, Pascagoula receives 29 percent of tax dollars. The other districts would split the remaining 71 percent based on enrollment.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Family launches Billups Coffee with headquarters in Oxford
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip
- Running luxury car dealerships, like Mercedes of Jackson, comes naturally to Trudy Higginbotham Moody
- ‘Just the beginning’ — Venture Technologies merging, acquiring companies
- Mississippi State makes NSF ranking of research universities
- Chaney drops lawsuit against National Flood Insurance Program
- Sawtimber, pulpwood markets improving, but challenges remain
- Hood joins other AGs in efforts to curb copper theft
- Entergy gives $500K grant to The Nature Conservancy